Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2018, 06:20 AM   #1

rhino ramps for oil change questions

I am thinking of doing my first oil change using rhino ramps but I have a question about draining the oil. question is when I get the car on the ramps it wont be level so will I still be able to drain out all the oil, or is there a way I can jack up the front of the car while the back is still on the ramps.
another question is I have the Racedeck modular tiles on my garage floor, will the ramps slide when I am backing my car up on the ramps. Thanks Jimbo

Jimbo409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 07:49 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo409 View Post
I am thinking of doing my first oil change using rhino ramps but I have a question about draining the oil. question is when I get the car on the ramps it wont be level so will I still be able to drain out all the oil, or is there a way I can jack up the front of the car while the back is still on the ramps.
another question is I have the Racedeck modular tiles on my garage floor, will the ramps slide when I am backing my car up on the ramps. Thanks Jimbo
Racedeck flooring materials are not conducive to shop work. We have several customers that ended up pull it out after floor jacks and jack stands did permanent damage to the tiles. The flooring is fine for non working shop areas, but you can’t really do serious work with it in place.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:54 AM   #3

I understand but will the ramps slide around.i heard that jack stands might damage the race deck tiles..
Old 12-23-2018, 08:18 AM   #4

I've been using Rhino Ramps for years, but I recently had an opportunity to use a drive-on lift for an oil change. I did not make a precise measurement, but my impression is that I needed about an additional 1/2 liter of oil to bring the reading up to full. So, I believe you don't get all the oil out using ramps.

There's a spot under the front of the car (search on a term like "jacking up a Boxster") for more information. I've thought about doing this, but my mental risk versus reward calculation (i.e. the possibility of pushing the car off the ramp versus squeezing out a few more drops of oil) caused me to decide not to do it. Also, the Boxster has low clearance and if the nose is pointing down, some jacks may not fit under the car.

Regarding your floor - my ramps have rubber feet on them and I don't think they would slide on a Racedeck. Please be advised that the oil comes out very quickly and it may overflow some oil receptacles. You may want to take steps to protect the floor against a spill.

Good luck
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 08:55 AM   #5

If the wheels are on, you can only get one front wheel up at a time with a jack. I've used ramps to change my oil by backing down a slope in my driveway so the car ends up level. I've never had the ramps move when backing down onto them, but i did shoot one backwards when driving off of them one time.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 09:10 AM   #6
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
I've used ramps to change my oil by backing down a slope in my driveway so the car ends up level.
This.

Works great.

As to the other question, my ramps have rubber feet on the bottom that keep them in place as I drive the car up them.
Never an issue with me pushing them along with the car.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 09:20 AM   #7

Thanks every one.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:26 PM   #8
On the slippery slope

Garage
I use the ramps in the front and jack the back up and use jack stands to level th4e car
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 03:11 AM   #9
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
My ramps slip on the garage floor. To keep them from slipping I lay the ramps on plywood with block of 2x4 screwed at the tall end to block the ramp.
I don't see a pic exactly like mine, but just a piece of plywood or course material under the ramp should hold it.
Old 12-24-2018, 06:03 AM   #10

I Never thought of using the ramps for the front of the car and then jacking up the rear
Old 12-24-2018, 06:09 AM   #11
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
I use the ramps in the front and jack the back up and use jack stands to level th4e car
+1 . . . I have done this for every oil change since getting my Boxster.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 07:20 AM   #12

Garage
Using ramps on a sloping driveway.

Same experience at my place.

Last edited by Boatin; 12-24-2018 at 07:25 AM.
Boatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 07:28 AM   #13

Garage
Ramps on sloping driveway

Boatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:50 AM   #14

I don’t have a sloping driveway
Old 12-25-2018, 09:53 AM   #15

Rhino ramps don't get my Boxster even near high enough to get under to do work. I put the rear on the Rhinos then us an air operated bottle jack to raise the car up enough to get tall jack stands under it. If you're worried about your garage floor, buy a couple of sheets of sanded shop or sanded OSB to take the jacks, stands, and Rhinos.

I never have a problem getting up on the Rhinos, but sometimes they shoot out when I'm driving off them.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 11:06 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
I never have a problem getting up on the Rhinos, but sometimes they shoot out when I'm driving off them.
Yeah, ya gotta be a little careful on this...one time I almost nailed the pet springer spaniel with one. Things'll sometimes fire out of there like they were shot out of a cannon
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 01:52 PM   #17
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
Here ya go!

https://youtu.be/D0m-hDzvfns
Old 12-26-2018, 06:14 AM   #18

last question, if I drive up on the rhino ramps in front and then plan on jackng up the rear and using jack stands wont the fron slip off the rhino ramps when I jack up the rear end
Old 12-26-2018, 08:33 AM   #19
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo409 View Post
last question, if I drive up on the rhino ramps in front and then plan on jackng up the rear and using jack stands wont the fron slip off the rhino ramps when I jack up the rear end
I do it all the time and have not had any problems
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:29 AM   #20

Are you saying the front doesn’t foll off the ramps,anything special that you do besides having front on ramps and jacking up the rear,any chocks