986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Ims with tiptronic (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/74103-ims-tiptronic.html)

Jimbo409 12-11-2018 10:48 AM

Ims with tiptronic

I know the ims is an issue.i just bought a 2001 boxster s with 66000 miles, I know everyone says to change the ims bearing when the clutch is done but what about the tiptronic transmission. I am really thinking of not doing the ims and drive it like I staled it. If the eng blows I can buy a used engine for 4 or 5000 on eBay. So I figure if I do the ims as preventative maintenance it will cost 3000, or I can wait and buy a used engine for 5000 your thoughts appreciated,
Jimbo

kk2002s 12-11-2018 11:07 AM

I think you answered your own question if your OK with backup plan B, buy a used motor and swap.
You may be still waiting to initiate plan B with your odometer reading 150k miles and the original IMS is still intact.

My biggest fear was still owing the bank, the IMS lets go and I had to keep paying a loan on a roller.

But now that it's been clear for some time, if it goes at least I could cancel insurance, registration and let it sit in the garage until I figured out what to do

78F350 12-11-2018 11:07 AM

The reasoning sounds good to me. If it won't ruin your life to have the engine blow, sure just enjoy the car and take the chance.
Two thoughts:
  • I was not going to do the IMS on my '99 Tip, then it started leaking oil from what turned out to be the IMS seal. If you ever do have the transmission out, go ahead and do it.
  • Just make sure that your math is good for the replacement engine. I have seen a few people on the forum end up spending around $10,000 by the time it is done, with all of the 'while you are in there' stuff. $5k sounds pretty optimistic unless you DIY.

BoxMann 12-11-2018 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 78F350 (Post 585111)
Just make sure that your math is good for the replacement engine. I have seen a few people on the forum end up spending around $10,000 by the time it is done, with all of the 'while you are in there' stuff. $5k sounds pretty optimistic unless you DIY.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. First, can you, in fact, get a good replacement engine for $5k? Would that be a used engine, or a freshly rebuilt one? And if used, how do you know how sound the engine is?

Also, what about shipping and installation costs? What should one expect to pay for that?

Rickvd 12-21-2018 07:02 PM

If you have a durmetic tool check out the cam 1 and 2 deviations. This is an indicator of potential ims issue. I posted on this in one of the forums as others have. I have an 04 with tip that I bought this year and originally worried about it. But after checking the cam deviations several months in a row where the phone were rock steady. Decided to worry less drive more. There was a very nice article by Mark Jennings about using sound vibration analysis to detect ims issues as well. He pointed me to using the cam deviation values. This is well worth reading. And can be found here Good Vibrations

Xpit77 12-22-2018 04:30 AM

I had the bearing changed on my 99 Tip at approx. 138 km. I also had the seal replaced and the transmission seviced. New filter and fluid. $3800 CDN. 4 yrs ago and no worries.Mantis Performance Oakville ON.will recommend.

mikefocke 12-22-2018 10:44 AM

Your ability to accept risk and your ability to accept cost are different than a lot of people's.

I've said before on the forums I almost wanted mine to fail so I could puit in a totally rebuilt engine. I could afford it. But not everyone can.

So do you have to swap the bearing? No. You have a much better than even chance of never having the IMS bearing go before something else takes out the engine (there are 28 other modes of failure, after all).

How will you feel if, after having done it, some act of god, another driver, another mode of failure takes out the car?

How will you feel if, not having done it, it fails?

I'm not you so I really can't choose for you. And that is part of what make life fun, you get the choice.

NewArt 12-22-2018 02:21 PM

PLEASE show me a decent 3.2 Porsche engine on eBay for 4 to 5k! I need one!
However, your reasoning seems sound. You can probably drive that car for a long time, and spend your money on coolant tanks, AOS, ignition switches, and a plethora of other niggley bits before that goes! :cool:

PaulE 12-22-2018 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewArt (Post 585875)
PLEASE show me a decent 3.2 Porsche engine on eBay for 4 to 5k! I need one!
However, your reasoning seems sound. You can probably drive that car for a long time, and spend your money on coolant tanks, AOS, ignition switches, and a plethora of other niggley bits before that goes! :cool:

Decent used 3 chain engines of 3.2 liter displacement are harder to come by than 5 chain engines of that size, that's for sure!