986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Hard top with plastic rear window in winter (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/74102-hard-top-plastic-rear-window-winter.html)

DWBOX2000 12-11-2018 10:37 AM

Hard top with plastic rear window in winter

I bought a hardtop for the winter. Have any of you with hardtops, on pre glass rear windows; had any issues leaving the top in the down position for a three to four month period. It also gets cold here in Massachusetts. I was thinking I would get garage temp over 60. Let plastic warm and then put down. Throw hardtop on and take off in April/May. Where I just spent a lot getting the plastic replaced, I obviously don't want to ruin.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
David

78F350 12-11-2018 10:56 AM

I've done that for a couple years and the plastic window is in great shape, better than most I've seen. Just give it a good cleaning before putting the hard top on.

rick3000 12-11-2018 12:00 PM

My hardtop has been installed most of the time I have owned my 986 over the last 12 years, no issues with the plastic window soft top. I would recommend putting some fleece over the window so it doesn't rub against itself, and ensure it folds with no kinks. Also, do not open/close the top below 70° F. Someone a few weeks ago posted they cracked their window putting it down because it was too cold. Make sure the plastic is flexible, use a hair dryer if you have to.

mikefocke 12-11-2018 12:29 PM

Clean the plastic inside and outside with Novus 1, 2 and 3. A kit that polishes scratches and restores the flexibility. Then, while folding the top in a warm place, put the fleece in between the folds of the top so the top doesn't rub against itself.

DWBOX2000 12-11-2018 04:40 PM

Thanks guys. Done.

jaykay 12-11-2018 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick3000 (Post 585113)
My hardtop has been installed most of the time I have owned my 986 over the last 12 years, no issues with the plastic window soft top. I would recommend putting some fleece over the window so it doesn't rub against itself, and ensure it folds with no kinks. Also, do not open/close the top below 70° F. Someone a few weeks ago posted they cracked their window putting it down because it was too cold. Make sure the plastic is flexible, use a hair dryer if you have to.

70F for top operation is definitely good practice is there known lower limit that has been regularly used by forum members? 70F is darn near tropical for us up here!

I have an old hair dryer in my new garage; I am still avoiding top side engine work and other stuff that requires top movement until I can get heaters installed....which may give me 70 but I doubt it.

Geof3 12-11-2018 09:59 PM

Second the Novis products. Great stuff. I roll a towel up put it in the crease of the window. No problem.

rick3000 12-11-2018 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaykay (Post 585131)
70F for top operation is definitely good practice is there known lower limit that has been regularly used by forum members? 70F is darn near tropical for us up here!

I have an old hair dryer in my new garage; I am still avoiding top side engine work and other stuff that requires top movement until I can get heaters installed....which may give me 70 but I doubt it.

I know people have done it below 70° F (I have), but I won't recommend it because the chances of cracking the window start to go up. As long as the plastic is flexible you should be okay.

DWBOX2000 12-14-2018 06:43 AM

I got temp up to 60 and then used blow dryer. I had electric heater running in car for a while too so probably at 70. The plastic was very flexible. I would lower roof, use hai dryer and repeat until lowered. I also stuck some soft cotton sheets in there too. Hoping for the best.