986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Avoid Copy Window Regs (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/74090-avoid-copy-window-regs.html)

YellowS2000 12-09-2018 11:32 PM

Avoid Copy Window Regs

Hi Chaps
Iv learned this important lesson in the week just gone.

All started when my driver side window regulator decided to snap. I bought a brand new copy one off ebay for £79.99 delivered. Which I thought was a good deal.

Dropped the car off at my mechanic as arranged then went back 2 hours later..... he looked like he was going to cry. No matter what he did the window would not operate properly.

He informed me that windows with no upper frames need genuine window regulators or they will never work properly.

Solution: I bought one off a breaker for £101 delivered including the motor. Same mechanic had it fitted and working perfectly in about 35 mins.

has anyone else found this too?

rexcramer 12-10-2018 07:14 PM

I tried URO's and had one fail in less than a year. The other side was misshapen and the motor would not fit into the holes. I learned my lesson and put proper Porsche regs in and have not been disappointed. There pricey but I believe worth it.

speedyspaghetti 12-10-2018 07:23 PM

For a bit of counter information, I installed a URO one about a year ago and it has been perfect. However, it has not really been enough time to truly tell.

rexcramer 12-10-2018 07:48 PM

One of the cable pulleys just broke in half for unknown reasons. I got a full refund. The other appeared to be a bad mold/alignment issue. I took it back, with the motor, and tried two more that all had the same issue.

I really liked the idea of the bearing on the pulley design with the URO part. The OEM pulleys are just bushings.

In URO's defense, they stood behind products and refunded 100%. All I was out was gas and my labor.

obthomas 12-11-2018 04:05 AM

I have a twist to this story. My drivers side window would not rise and drop enough when the door opened and closed. I got into this forum and searched and it came back that if I could push the window down it is the regulator and I need a new one. Well I took this forum at its word and changed out the regulator, first with aftermarket, and when the problem was not fixed I installed a repair kit, and when that did not work ....
To make a long story short I changed the regulator four times. I could open up my door panel blindfolded. Finally I installed a used OEM regulator with a used OEM motor and the window works like new. Turns out my problem was the motor not the regulator.

YellowS2000 12-13-2018 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obthomas (Post 585096)
I have a twist to this story. My drivers side window would not rise and drop enough when the door opened and closed. I got into this forum and searched and it came back that if I could push the window down it is the regulator and I need a new one. Well I took this forum at its word and changed out the regulator, first with aftermarket, and when the problem was not fixed I installed a repair kit, and when that did not work ....
To make a long story short I changed the regulator four times. I could open up my door panel blindfolded. Finally I installed a used OEM regulator with a used OEM motor and the window works like new. Turns out my problem was the motor not the regulator.

Hi Thomas
I had this problem too on the same side last year, but the window still operated. Took it to my tamed mechanic and he worked out it was the door lock that was goosed as it was not triggering the micro switch that lowers the window when the handle is lifted

I bought a new new lock... Porsche wanted £187. I got one from a breaker for £35 mechanic fitted it for £25.

Oggie 12-14-2018 12:36 AM

I've had a URO premium regulator in my '99 Boxster for over 18 months and it has worked faultlessly.