Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2018, 02:31 PM   #1

Found in oil filter

First oil change after purchasing my 98 boxster and found two metal flakes and what appears to be 3 plastic pieces in the filter. The metal pieces appear to be non-ferrous metal as I could not get a strong magnet to pick them up even after careful cleaning to remove oil. From my research it appears that ims bearing material should be magnetic. Should I worry about a couple flakes at 89k miles? The plastic appeared to be brown color so in guessing chain guides...

matao87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 03:30 PM   #2
still plays with cars...

Garage
At 89k, it wouldn’t be unusual to find some VarioCam plastic or what is likely aluminum bits in the filter.
Most engines will shed little shards of metal as they age and wear.
I wouldn’t sweat it.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 04:26 PM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
+1
I just did an oil change on an '01 with a little over 130K miles today. There were two minute aluminum flakes in the filter. The only ferrous material was fine dust on the magnets I installed. A little bit of very small pieces of plastic would not worry me. Chunks or lots of it would be a problem.
If you are concerned, but it runs perfectly, you can periodically unscrew and take a look at the filter without having to drain the oil. Just top it off with a few ounces afterward.
Old 11-22-2018, 05:38 PM   #4

Thanks, I didn't realize I could drop the filter without dumping the oil. Might do that every thousand or so for piece of mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
+1
I just did an oil change on an '01 with a little over 130K miles today. There were two minute aluminum flakes in the filter. The only ferrous material was fine dust on the magnets I installed. A little bit of very small pieces of plastic would not worry me. Chunks or lots of it would be a problem.
If you are concerned, but it runs perfectly, you can periodically unscrew and take a look at the filter without having to drain the oil. Just top it off with a few ounces afterward.

matao87 is offline   Reply With Quote