Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2018, 09:50 AM   #1

IMS Solution

I received an email from LN Engineering advising that they are offering a 20% discount on their IMS Solution and Nickies, etc.,

Considering the cost of the IMS Solution a 20% discount it's actually a good one..

Now, which IMS do you guys suggest..???

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 11:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
I received an email from LN Engineering advising that they are offering a 20% discount on their IMS Solution and Nickies, etc.,

Considering the cost of the IMS Solution a 20% discount it's actually a good one..

Now, which IMS do you guys suggest..???
Solution, hands down.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Solution, hands down.
Sorry JFP, just wanted to pass along the discount offer from LN and for some reason had to include a smart a$$ comment..

Actually my new (to me) 981CS does not have an IMS, but have other treats like scored cylinders (perhaps caused to leaky injectors..?) and other issues that I am not aware of em yet

Regards!
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Sorry JFP, just wanted to pass along the discount offer from LN and for some reason had to include a smart a$$ comment..

Actually my new (to me) 981CS does not have an IMS, but have other treats like scored cylinders (perhaps caused to leaky injectors..?) and other issues that I am not aware of em yet

Regards!
Scoring is more like the result of cold starts “washing” the thrust sides of the walls with unburnt fuel. This is why oil choice and change cycles are so important; it is common to find higher than normal fuel levels in the oil on DFI engines.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:18 AM   #5

+1 on JFPs comments

My POV is simple...the IMS Solution is the best technical option available in that it provides the best protection against collateral damage should it begin to fail.

It's reasonable to ask whether it is the best cost effective option. This is a different question entirely and it depends on how long one intends to keep their engine before replacing one of the alternatives for a second or greater time. The IMS Solution is one and done. The manufacturers of alternatives, including LNE, recommend changing their other options at various service intervals lengths. If you pay a 3rd party to replace the IMS, then one and done will be the cheapest. If you DIY, then it all about what your time is worth.

My cost effectiveness calculus is also simple...I installed the IMS Solution in my car at 125K miles because I was willing to pay several hundred dollars to provide the best technical fix to avoid the risk of spending thousands of dollars to replace an engine that suffered catastrophic IMS failure.

Last edited by thom4782; 11-22-2018 at 09:23 AM.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote