986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Winter Storage - Top to be tight, or loose? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/73787-winter-storage-top-tight-loose.html)

Dave80GTSi 11-15-2018 09:50 AM

Winter Storage - Top to be tight, or loose?

Opinions, please - I have heard both options recommended.

For those of us with a secure but unheated garage for cold winter storage, have you made it a practice to park the car with the convertible top latch undone so that the top is slack?

Or instead, do you park it with the latch fastened so that the top is tight?

Does the rear window being either plastic or glass play into this question?

Thanks - DM

JFP in PA 11-15-2018 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave80GTSi (Post 583213)
Opinions, please - I have heard both options recommended.

For those of us with a secure but unheated garage for cold winter storage, have you made it a practice to park the car with the convertible top latch undone so that the top is slack?

Or instead, do you park it with the latch fastened so that the top is tight?

Does the rear window being either plastic or glass play into this question?

Thanks - DM

Don't overthink this. We store a small number of cars for select customers, some are Boxster or 996/997 cabriolets, glass and plastic, and they are all stored with the top in the normal up position.

Flavor 987S 11-15-2018 11:36 AM

Here's what my cocoa top looked like on my 987S after 6 winter hibernations (unheated garage at the time, and closed and latched) and over 70,000 miles. Sold it after this picture back in 2011:

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1542314201.jpg

Dave80GTSi 11-15-2018 02:56 PM

Just to be clear, the either/or question relates only to the position of the top latch.

For both options, the top is in the fully raised position.

The question is whether or not there is any consensus about any benefits to be gained via either keeping the top "stretched" for months with the latch closed, or to have the top "limp" with the latch undone.

Thanks - DM

JFP in PA 11-15-2018 05:04 PM

Just leave the damned top in the fully up position, latch latched...…………….

MrBen 11-15-2018 07:16 PM

Windows fully up or left open a crack 😎

Geof3 11-15-2018 09:47 PM

Mine stays fully closed... never an issue.

kk2002s 11-16-2018 04:03 AM

Mine doesn't go into hibernation as I will use during winter but it can sit a month at a time. I can see why one might think about this. I have always left latched, ready to drive.
I leave the windows down and the Frunk and Trunk lids popped, I remove bulbs in both. I cover car in the garage

Bald Eagle 11-16-2018 06:10 AM

I've stored my 2000S in an unheated storage facility with the top latched the five winters I've had it. The previous owner stored it unused in a heated garage with the top latched. I've never thought about storing it unlatched but I can state that I have not noticed anything about storing it fully latched to make me think there would be any advantage for storing it unlatched.

Larry (the Bald Eagle)

p3230 11-16-2018 11:08 AM

Top latched windows down one inch remove battery put a piece of wood at latch of frunk, put it in neutral no hand brake and forget it for the winter.

t2-bxtrs 11-16-2018 11:39 AM

Winter Storage Top up

My 04 986 S has been Winter stored all its life with slightly windows down an inch. Enough for my battery maintainer cord to go through, and following all our Winterizing procedures, NO issue at all come Spring. A brand new looking Toy always.. Haha !!

MWS 11-16-2018 12:04 PM

Dang it, you got me thinking...or perhaps more accurately, overthinking...and then I just stopped myself. Bottom line, as a mental exercise we could debate this for weeks, but in the real world I'm just going to join the camp of "it doesn't make any difference". Now if we were talking about storing for a century, maybe there would be some valid, measurable differences...but for a couple months, I doubt it.

I do keep my windows cracked and trunk and frunk popped though. Does that really matter if it's on a maintainer? Probably not, but it's what I do. I do keep the top stretched because that's just what I've done. Again, does it make a difference? Who knows, but I do it, therefore it must be right. Or at least to me. :)

Blackcloud 11-17-2018 01:51 PM

The only reason you would leave it unlatched is if you had a small ding from a stone on the windshield, especially on the bottom or top of the windshield. Leaving the top latched could possibly crack the windshield. If it’s intact, just latch it.

Boxstard 11-18-2018 05:17 AM

For winter, I take my soft top out of the car, put my hardtop on.

Then.... daily drive it just like usual!

Now wondering how should I store my soft top... hang it under tension?

PS Replacing the plastic window as a little winter project.

Frodo 11-18-2018 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bald Eagle (Post 583286)
I've stored my 2000S in an unheated storage facility with the top latched the five winters I've had it. The previous owner stored it unused in a heated garage with the top latched. I've never thought about storing it unlatched but I can state that I have not noticed anything about storing it fully latched to make me think there would be any advantage for storing it unlatched.

Larry (the Bald Eagle)

+1 on this. Since 2006. No problems.