986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Small Problem (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/7377-small-problem.html)

MAC986 09-12-2006 01:04 PM

Small Problem

Just found out that my car does not have the wheel lock key to get my tires off. So my question is, do I need to go to the dealership and try to get another one or should I just get the old one's cut off and replace. Right now if I get a flat I'm basically SOL.

Thanks!

arp35 09-12-2006 01:13 PM

I had the same issue. The dealer has a universal set of multiple keys. I had them take the locking lug nut off then went and had new tires put on. They can also give you the code of the key that fits you're lug nut. I then called the locking lug nut company McGard and told them my delimma. They sent me a new one for about 15 dollars. Here is there web page info
McGard LLC www.mcgard.com
3875 California Road, Orchard Park, NY 14127-4198
Phone: 716-662-8980 • Fax: 716-662-8985

Just tell them its a porsche and the 2 or 3 letter code.

der Geist 09-12-2006 03:01 PM

A cheaper way to remove them would be to hammer (OUCH!!!) a socket onto the lock nut, then use a breaker to take it off. It is a rather drastic method but it does work. You don't have to beat it mercilessly-just find a socket 1 size too small and lightly hammer it until it is on there good and tight. I have done it on 2 occasions many years ago and had no problems later on. I used Craftsman sockets since they are guaranteed for life. :)

I just purchsed a set of wrenches to remove stripped and rusted nuts. I can't believe how good they work! Don't know if they have these in a socket form but it might be worth a look see. I can't imagine how you could cut them off and not damage the wheel.

Good luck!!

Ronzi 09-13-2006 08:49 AM

I thought I had the same problem when I bought my car.
Turned out the socket was hidden in spare tire cover pocket. Have you checked there?

Perfectlap 09-13-2006 08:50 AM

^That's exactly where mine was too

denverpete 09-13-2006 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronzi
I thought I had the same problem when I bought my car.
Turned out the socket was hidden in spare tire cover pocket. Have you checked there?

Ditto. I would first check your "tool kit" (which I use loosely). Then I'd remove the tire cover and check inside the tire pocket and around the tire. Since it doesn't have a spot in the kit, it can easily fall out.

MAC986 09-13-2006 12:06 PM

Thanks for the all the advice, I did check where the spare tire is and took out the tool kit but didn't find anything. I'll take the spare tire cover off and check again.

Many thanks,
Mac