Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2018, 08:03 AM   #1

Interior light sensor thingy?

I was replacing my lights last night and noticed something that looks like a sensor or something in the overhead interior light? There is also a little button that looks like it would be a reset button? Anybody know what these are? I went through my owner's manual and didn't see anything? Just curious.

Last edited by Geof3; 11-10-2018 at 11:02 AM.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:17 AM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
The little LED is an amber ambient light and the button changes it's brightness. Even on the highest setting, it is very dim.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
The little LED is an amber ambient light and the button changes it's brightness. Even on the highest setting, it is very dim.
Interesting, never even noticed it being on. Any real reason it is there? I'll have to play with it now...
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:22 AM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Supposedly just a very low ambient light, though it doesn't seem to do much illuminating, so I don't see the point of it.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:11 PM   #5

It's probably just a little mood lighting. I had that in my old HHR
MrBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:56 PM   #6
MWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
Interesting, never even noticed it being on. Any real reason it is there? I'll have to play with it now...
I believe the purpose of these lights (as well as the ones at door handles) are to provide just enough illumination as to allow locating various non-illuminated components...or at least I think that's what the original purpose was. As more manufactures added these lights, it became a styling point, which ended up leading to the vehicles that now have (in my opinion) far to much "mood" lighting...in infinate color choices no less.

A few years back I had a Cadillac as a rental that had the multicolor mood lighting; couldn't help but be reminded of a gentlemans club....

MWS is offline   Reply With Quote