986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Tiptronic fluid change (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/73689-tiptronic-fluid-change.html)

Starter986 11-06-2018 12:34 PM

Tiptronic fluid change

Weather is cooling, and in a few weeks I'm embarking on my PM list of which changing the AT fluid is in order. That said...

The forum has been very helpful. I did additional reading and have a question. first...

I'll first check the fill plug to be certain it will come off when I go to fill. if affirmative, I'll drain the transmission fluid. From what I've read, I'll get ~3.5 liters. Now, I'm understanding that the entire transmission holds 9 liters (including the torque converter).

What I've read is that you can run the engine at idle, and in park, for not more than 3 minutes to pump the fluid from the TQ to the pan.

1. Is this correct?

I would measure all the fluid that came out, then knowing how much to return to the transmission (and following refill instructions).

In the alternative... what do you do? Keep filling and refilling until the fluid has been fairly well flushed out? If that's the case I'd use a compatible, but less costly fluid, to do the flush(s).

My primary objective is to get out as much as possible the old fluid, and not just ~3.5 liters.

I need to know if I'm buying 5 or 10 liters of fluid (assuming the 5 liter containers).

Any tips, pointers, or advice is appreciated. Thank you.

JFP in PA 11-06-2018 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 582501)
Weather is cooling, and in a few weeks I'm embarking on my PM list of which changing the AT fluid is in order. That said...

The forum has been very helpful. I did additional reading and have a question. first...

I'll first check the fill plug to be certain it will come off when I go to fill. if affirmative, I'll drain the transmission fluid. From what I've read, I'll get ~3.5 liters. Now, I'm understanding that the entire transmission holds 9 liters (including the torque converter).

What I've read is that you can run the engine at idle, and in park, for not more than 3 minutes to pump the fluid from the TQ to the pan.

1. Is this correct?

I would measure all the fluid that came out, then knowing how much to return to the transmission (and following refill instructions).

In the alternative... what do you do? Keep filling and refilling until the fluid has been fairly well flushed out? If that's the case I'd use a compatible, but less costly fluid, to do the flush(s).

My primary objective is to get out as much as possible the old fluid, and not just ~3.5 liters.

I need to know if I'm buying 5 or 10 liters of fluid (assuming the 5 liter containers).

Any tips, pointers, or advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Running the engine with the drain plug out of the pan is asking for a dead transmission. There are several Torrington style bearings inside the torque convert alone, which could easily be damaged doing this. Besides which, it won't work very well as the pump pulls fluid from the pan, which would be empty with the drain out, so you would not be moving much fluid out of the converter, just burning up bearing surfaces.

If you want to flush it with clean fluid, you would be reducing your chances of issues.

Starter986 11-06-2018 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 582507)
Running the engine with the drain plug out of the pan is asking for a dead transmission. There are several Torrington style bearings inside the torque convert alone, which could easily be damaged doing this. Besides which, it won't work very well as the pump pulls fluid from the pan, which would be empty with the drain out, so you would not be moving much fluid out of the converter, just burning up bearing surfaces.

If you want to flush it with clean fluid, you would be reducing your chances of issues.

Duly noted. Thank you very much.

I will be dropping the pan. New filter. New gasket.

How is the fluid removed from the TC? Does everybody just leave it in there?

What fluid would you recommend for the flush... as I will be concluding with the Pentosin 1 ATF.

Thank you.

JFP in PA 11-07-2018 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 582515)
Duly noted. Thank you very much.

I will be dropping the pan. New filter. New gasket.

How is the fluid removed from the TC? Does everybody just leave it in there?

What fluid would you recommend for the flush... as I will be concluding with the Pentosin 1 ATF.

Thank you.

We flush with the factory fluid. The only realistic way to clean out the converter is to fill, run, and dump the trans 3-4 times.

Starter986 11-07-2018 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 582552)
We flush with the factory fluid. The only realistic way to clean out the converter is to fill, run, and dump the trans 3-4 times.

Thank you.

BobRickel 11-09-2018 02:53 PM

Here is some good info that will explain it all. Make sure you check both out.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/35-TRANS-Auto_Fluid_Change/35-TRANS-Auto_Fluid_Change.htm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8wSAPF582g

Starter986 11-09-2018 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobRickel (Post 582749)

Thank you, Bob. I've watched that video a few times and read that article many times It's become a snorefest. The video doesn't even go into the visual process of pulling the pan. Lazy. The Pelican article doesn't address the TC. Aside from general run of the mill instruction... well... nothing aside.

The TC holds 65% more fluid than the sump. So, short of drain fill drain fill drain fill drain fill... it's really a half-assed maintenance repair.

However, thank you for chiming in.

NewArt 11-09-2018 05:09 PM

In the end, when you are finished, you will need to verify your levels several times, topping up each time before everything settles out.

Starter986 11-10-2018 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewArt (Post 582770)
In the end, when you are finished, you will need to verify your levels several times, topping up each time before everything settles out.

Thank you. Yes. I will check it several times. I've read that the transmissions are sensitive to that.

Would you have a recommendation for a temperature gun... you know... point/aim and get the temp reading? Since I'll be using that tool very infrequently I'm not looking to spend a mint. Thank you.

paulofto 11-10-2018 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 582789)
Thank you. Yes. I will check it several times. I've read that the transmissions are sensitive to that.

Would you have a recommendation for a temperature gun... you know... point/aim and get the temp reading? Since I'll be using that tool very infrequently I'm not looking to spend a mint. Thank you.

I have one like this from Princess Auto here in Canada, similar to Harbor Freight down in US. At ~$20 CDN you should be able to find one down there for ~$15 USD.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/infrared-thermometer/A-p8500589e

Pigsypo 11-12-2018 04:36 AM

I found tons of valuable information here. great source of information for diy'ers. keep it up guys.

what would be the recommended tiptronic transmission fluid for 2003 boxster? should it be 000-043-304-01? I found conflicting information on another forum. :)