Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2018, 12:16 PM   #1

How to fix an ashtray that slams/bursts open too fast?

My ashtray used to have a smooth slow motion when it opened. But about 5 years ago when I got the car back from the repair shop, I noticed that instead of a slow motion smooth open, it jumps open in a fast slamming burst. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks

Fyeganeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:40 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
There's supposed to be a friction gear in the ashtray recess. You might have broken a tooth or it fell out. Lift out the ashtray and you will see a toothed cam on the front end. That cam is supposed to mate with a gear in the ashtray recess.

You can't really see the gear in this photo, but that's where it is.

Last edited by particlewave; 11-03-2018 at 12:44 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 01:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
There's supposed to be a friction gear in the ashtray recess. You might have broken a tooth or it fell out. Lift out the ashtray and you will see a toothed cam on the front end. That cam is supposed to mate with a gear in the ashtray recess.

You can't really see the gear in this photo, but that's where it is.

Thanks! That friction gear is missing in my car. Now the question is how to get that part. Any ideas? Can one just buy that gear or do you have to buy the larger housing that the ashtray sits in.
Old 11-03-2018, 03:40 PM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
You might check with Woody (Parting out a whole lot of Boxsters), but he has a $20 minimum. You could also post a wanted ad in the classifieds section. Members that have done the ashtray delete may pull theirs for you (I'll see if I can find mine).

Alternatively, if you look inside the center console, there's a good chance it's in there.

Last edited by particlewave; 11-03-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:05 AM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I have not been able to find mine, but I see several ashtray/switch bezels on eBay for $30 with the gear and all 4 switches. The used switches alone are easily worth $40-$60.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-996-Boxster-986-Ashtray-Bezel-center-console/183071637286?
Old 11-06-2018, 03:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
I have not been able to find mine, but I see several ashtray/switch bezels on eBay for $30 with the gear and all 4 switches. The used switches alone are easily worth $40-$60.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-996-Boxster-986-Ashtray-Bezel-center-console/183071637286?
Thanks again! I wasn’t able to find the missing part so I purchased one of the eBay ashtray bezels for $30 (made 8 days before mine - they put a sticker with the manufacture date on them 7/15/99). It should be arriving on Friday and I’ll post how it goes. This has been bugging me for almost 5 years - even though I don’t use it much except for spare change. It’ll be great to get it fixed.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:56 PM   #7
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

My ashtray lid stays down... until one little bump pops it open. Tolerated that for a year until I decided to double-sided tape it shut. LOL.

Eventually I'll get the coin cubby to replace it.