986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Looking to buy a good 2002 Boxster S engine (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/73628-looking-buy-good-2002-boxster-s-engine.html)

Doug427 10-29-2018 02:42 PM

Looking to buy a good 2002 Boxster S engine

My 2002 Boxster S has an intermix issue. There was oil in the water but no water in the oil. It drove and ran great even with the intermix until the other day. Suddenly out of nowhere, it barely ran and was laying down an incredibly thick smokescreen behind it. Likely the AOS went is what I'm thinking.

Anyway, it's time to bite the bullet and replace the engine. I was, previous to this event, thinking about pulling the heads off my engine and getting them repaired and then reinstalling them on my engine, since it ran so darned strong even with the intermix going on. However, it seems like there is now a small trace of water in the oil as well. I have no idea now what damage that may have done to the bottom end, so keeping this engine and repairing what seems to be a cracked head is no longer an option.

I've bought lots of parts from Woody in the past, and he was of course the first person I thought of to look for a replacement engine. He's very fair and honest and his pricing is great. However, in checking in with Woody, he told me that he not only has no S engines available but doesn't foresee any showing up at his place in the near future. I hesitate to deal with the eBay guys who seem to be understandably seeking top dollar for a decent engine. I guess I've been spoiled by Woody's extremely fair and affordable pricing. What I am looking for is a engine for a 2002 S model with under 100,000 miles on it. All the intake parts, etc from my engine are fine, so a long block would work as well as a complete engine.

If any of you have one for sale or have a line on where I could find one, please let me know either here, or by PM or by email. Thanks.

BYprodriver 10-30-2018 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug427 (Post 581951)
My 2002 Boxster S has an intermix issue. There was oil in the water but no water in the oil. It drove and ran great even with the intermix until the other day. Suddenly out of nowhere, it barely ran and was laying down an incredibly thick smokescreen behind it. Likely the AOS went is what I'm thinking.

Anyway, it's time to bite the bullet and replace the engine. I was, previous to this event, thinking about pulling the heads off my engine and getting them repaired and then reinstalling them on my engine, since it ran so darned strong even with the intermix going on. However, it seems like there is now a small trace of water in the oil as well. I have no idea now what damage that may have done to the bottom end, so keeping this engine and repairing what seems to be a cracked head is no longer an option.

I've bought lots of parts from Woody in the past, and he was of course the first person I thought of to look for a replacement engine. He's very fair and honest and his pricing is great. However, in checking in with Woody, he told me that he not only has no S engines available but doesn't foresee any showing up at his place in the near future. I hesitate to deal with the eBay guys who seem to be understandably seeking top dollar for a decent engine. I guess I've been spoiled by Woody's extremely fair and affordable pricing. What I am looking for is a engine for a 2002 S model with under 100,000 miles on it. All the intake parts, etc from my engine are fine, so a long block would work as well as a complete engine.

If any of you have one for sale or have a line on where I could find one, please let me know either here, or by PM or by email. Thanks.

I have a 2001 boxster engine available, It is rebuilt just like the engine in my 2000 S to 3.6Litres. Here is a link to the rebuild thread : https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/649044-3-6-rebuild.html

Doug427 10-30-2018 08:44 AM

I appreciate the heads up on your engine being available. It looks like a great engine, but it's way beyond where I'd like to go with this car. Thanks again and good luck with selling it. Someone looking to go in that direction will no doubt get a great deal on a great engine. I'm looking for essentially a stock used engine in good condition. I'll toss in a IMS bearing, AOS, RMS, starter, water pump, and a new clutch and be on my way. The Boxster S is just a fair weather weekend cruiser for my wife and I. I'm very fortunate to have a 744HP Shelby Cobra for when I feel the need for speed. :)

maytag 10-30-2018 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYprodriver (Post 582001)
I have a 2001 boxster engine available, It is rebuilt just like the engine in my 2000 S to 3.6Litres. Here is a link to the rebuild thread : https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/649044-3-6-rebuild.html

for kicks.... what would one (hypothetically) have to part with to entertain thoughts of that motor arriving on a truck? I mean... a guys' gotta dream, right? :-)

BYprodriver 10-30-2018 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maytag (Post 582011)
for kicks.... what would one (hypothetically) have to part with to entertain thoughts of that motor arriving on a truck? I mean... a guys' gotta dream, right? :-)

$15 K so sell your good running stock engine for $6,000+ to get it for $9,K net. :D

BYprodriver 10-30-2018 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug427 (Post 582002)
I appreciate the heads up on your engine being available. It looks like a great engine, but it's way beyond where I'd like to go with this car. Thanks again and good luck with selling it. Someone looking to go in that direction will no doubt get a great deal on a great engine. I'm looking for essentially a stock used engine in good condition. I'll toss in a IMS bearing, AOS, RMS, starter, water pump, and a new clutch and be on my way. The Boxster S is just a fair weather weekend cruiser for my wife and I. I'm very fortunate to have a 744HP Shelby Cobra for when I feel the need for speed. :)

I worked for Shelby 1998-2000