986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Water Pump Frustrations (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/73623-water-pump-frustrations.html)

Stiglitz 10-29-2018 06:45 AM

Water Pump Frustrations

Starting to get a small leak on water pump, thought it was hoses, replaced, still leaking, looked further, its the water pump. Ordered all the parts I need to swap out (serpentine I did in April, and hoses a month ago, so just water pump, tstat and housing to take care of, and I end up down for the count with a pinched nerve in my neck, so I can't do it.
Having a HELL of a time finding someone that will install for me for a reasonable price. I actually had someone quote me $1,100 for it!! That is insane!

Even on my worst day, 4 hours max messing around with it. Still looking around. If anyone knows anyone in Orlando area that will do just labor, please send me their number. I'd rather not drive around w/pending failure, and waiting on my neck to heal will probably be about another month.

Thx

dav9515 10-29-2018 09:15 AM

i had the same issue, i was getting quotes up to $1,800 for Water Pump, Thermostat, and Front Motor mount, labor only!!! it was insane!

Kept looking and found a reputable shop to do the work for $600. Still not cheap but seeing as though most indy quality shops are charging a minimum of $150 hr these days it's hard to find reasonable prices for work. Need to locate a place that charges actual labor and not book rates then use them regularly so you build a relationship.

dghii 10-29-2018 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stiglitz (Post 581917)
Starting to get a small leak on water pump, thought it was hoses, replaced, still leaking, looked further, its the water pump. Ordered all the parts I need to swap out (serpentine I did in April, and hoses a month ago, so just water pump, tstat and housing to take care of, and I end up down for the count with a pinched nerve in my neck, so I can't do it.
Having a HELL of a time finding someone that will install for me for a reasonable price. I actually had someone quote me $1,100 for it!! That is insane!

Even on my worst day, 4 hours max messing around with it. Still looking around. If anyone knows anyone in Orlando area that will do just labor, please send me their number. I'd rather not drive around w/pending failure, and waiting on my neck to heal will probably be about another month.

Thx

Crazy! $350 worth of OEM parts and coolant...a couple of hours to complete.

Nedlands 10-29-2018 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dav9515 (Post 581924)
i had the same issue, i was getting quotes up to $1,800 for Water Pump, Thermostat, and Front Motor mount, labor only!!! it was insane!

Kept looking and found a reputable shop to do the work for $600. Still not cheap but seeing as though most indy quality shops are charging a minimum of $150 hr these days it's hard to find reasonable prices for work. Need to locate a place that charges actual labor and not book rates then use them regularly so you build a relationship.

Even $600 for labor is high! That job should take about 2 hours all in, or at least that's what it took me

Deserion 10-29-2018 06:33 PM

Funny that I’m doing the water pump on a 987 right now. If you were closer I’d offer.

Geof3 10-29-2018 09:45 PM

It takes longer to get the car panels off then bleed the coolant system afterward than it does to swap out those parts! 1000.00 is nuts! Or, maybe I should start doing repair work on the side!? I think all in, totally taking my time was maybe 3 hours, and that included various extra cleaning, etc.

rfuerst911sc 10-30-2018 01:30 AM

I see you are in Winter Park there is a shop in Orlando on Semoran Blvd. that used to be known as Zotz . It was bought out by Donny years ago from original owner Ron Zitsa . I used them exclusively when I lived in Orlando . He is/was very knowledgeable and reasonably priced back then but I have been gone from Orlando almost 9 years now . The shop was behind the Original Mattress Factory .

flouese 10-30-2018 03:35 AM

I changed my water pump this past weekend due to a slow leak (drip). Less than two hours. Turned out it was the gasket that was bad. Now I have 2 water pumps laying around. One with the metal impellers and one with the plastic ones and brand new gasket to go with it. If anyone needs one, let me know.

mikesz 10-30-2018 03:57 AM

WOW! I am in the wrong business! I have changed waterpump on my 99 twice. First time I did thermostat, fresh coolant, new motor mount. Second time just water pump.

Stiglitz 10-30-2018 11:49 AM

Thanks all for input!
Actually one of the local indie/dealers in town is charging me 4 hours, so I'm just gonna bite the bullet and get it taken care of.
Can't let it sit in garage while my neck gets better, just not that patient!

I also figured out my window issue, blown fuse

Stiglitz 11-01-2018 06:08 AM

Got it taken care of. Sean at Nort Northam Collection in Orlando did an AWESOME job. Quick, correct, and Fair!

Highly recommended!