986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   various engine access methods..... (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/73594-various-engine-access-methods.html)

CliffA 10-26-2018 07:29 AM

various engine access methods.....

new member here....sorry if this has been asked and answered before....just getting used to the various forums, so if this type question should be posted in another forum just let me know....

i am a decent 'shade tree' mechanic from wrenching on mechanical things for the past 45 years or so....at first glance it would appear that our cars have very limited access points to the engine, but as i read archived and new posts it seems there are several ways to gain access to the engine for repairs or service....

has anyone compiled a list that shows all of the various engine access points and how to remove the panels or other items that need to be removed?....

thanks...
cliff

Quadcammer 10-26-2018 07:47 AM

two covers, one on top, on behind the seats. Pretty good access when combined with under car access.

MWS 10-26-2018 09:24 AM

The panel behind the seats is easy enough to access, but with seats in place access to engine is a bit of a pain...you'll find that removing the seats is your best option. If your planning to do any wrenching in the future, I'd suggest that you might want to check how easy your seat bolts are to remove; you might want to go ahead and remove and replace bolts now (to make sure they aren't seized) so you don't spend a bunch of time later trying to remove seat bolts just to get to engine panel.

Quadcammer 10-26-2018 09:38 AM

if you still have folding seats on a slider, just slide them full forward and tilt them forward and you have plenty of room. removal only necessary for bigger jobs.

kk2002s 10-26-2018 10:05 AM

The 2 obvious ones stated already, Laying on your back underneath, through the wheel wells that's about it.
It can be a bit of a contortionist act to get to some parts. Just make sure no young kids or Nuns are around when you have to change the Coolant expansion tank or AOS
Sometime just getting the car into position, jacked up, access panels opened, and then back again can take longer than the actual job. I try to group tasks together if I can

CliffA 10-26-2018 10:45 AM

thanks for the replies....the car only has around 23K miles so hopefully repairs will be few for a while....the IMSB was replaced by the previous owner who is also a friend and the original owner.....i had the 'pleasure' of experiencing the coolant tank cracking....after a little research i decided to use the extended warranty i bought with the car to replace the tank...trying to access the hoses and clamps on the inside of the trunk wall were enough to help make my mind up.....the warranty is fairly extensive in coverage with a $250 deductible.....i have a good local independent shop that works on all types of foreign and exotic cars....when i spoke to them about the job they told me it would take around 5 hrs of labor since they would remove the body from the chassis instead of trying to replace the tank with the car assembled.....so i dropped the car off with them and picked it up the next day....the bill would have been around $1,100 so the $250 i paid on the warranty deductible was money well spent....this one repair paid 1/2 the cost of the warranty....plus this gave the Technicians time to thoroughly inspect things while the body was off and luckily it came back with a clean bill of health...but i am not afraid to tackle easy to moderately hard jobs if and when needed...i enjoy working with my hands and getting grease under my finger nails....

cliff

thstone 10-26-2018 11:44 AM

Buy the book, 101 Projects for Your Boxster, by Wayne Dempsey (who owns Pelican Parts, which is the owner of this Forum). It has 90% of what you need to know to do almost all of the typical maint/repairs.

Then whenever you do a job, search here on the forum to find tips and hints at how to make the job easier or at least what problems to avoid (the old "ask me how I know").

If you get stuck on a project, post up your problem and usually it will be answered within a couple of hours (sometimes within minutes!).

paulofto 10-26-2018 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 581719)
Buy the book, 101 Projects for Your Boxster, by Wayne Dempsey (who owns Pelican Parts, which is the owner of this Forum). It has 90% of what you need to know to do almost all of the typical maint/repairs.

+1 on the 101 book plus the Bentley manual is a good investment.

CliffA 10-26-2018 12:24 PM

thanks....i have already ordered the book '101 Projects' earlier today.....

cliff

pilut2 10-26-2018 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CliffA (Post 581714)
....when i spoke to them about the job they told me it would take around 5 hrs of labor since they would remove the body from the chassis instead of trying to replace the tank with the car assembled.....

cliff

Wait...what??

Geof3 10-26-2018 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kk2002s (Post 581710)
Sometime just getting the car into position, jacked up, access panels opened, and then back again can take longer than the actual job. I try to group tasks together if I can

This... 100%!

dghii 10-26-2018 06:22 PM

No way the techs took the 'the body off the car'. Your warranty was well served though as an OEM coolant tank is over $200. Job is a PIA but can be done in the driveway.

rexcramer 10-26-2018 07:55 PM

I wonder how many sawz-all blades it takes to remove the body of a Boxster?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pilut2 (Post 581724)
Wait...what??

rfuerst911sc 10-27-2018 02:18 AM

Just for clarification Wayne Dempsey no longer owns Pelican Parts .

BYprodriver 10-27-2018 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dghii (Post 581736)
No way the techs took the 'the body off the car'. Your warranty was well served though as an OEM coolant tank is over $200. Job is a PIA but can be done in the driveway.

Maybe they removed some chassis parts to access the coolant tank & hoses.

kk2002s 10-27-2018 02:48 PM

I forgot about taking the body off the chassis
That one needs more explanation
Man if that was an option

Lew 10-27-2018 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rexcramer (Post 581742)
I wonder how many sawz-all blades it takes to remove the body of a Boxster?

One!

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1540681272.jpg

Geof3 10-27-2018 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lew (Post 581785)

Dang, talk about easy AOS access! Do they keep that together with dzus fasteners?;)

paulofto 10-28-2018 07:36 AM

What the Boxster needs is a 'clamshell' type set up like on the 904. Flip up access.
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02/9041540740955.jpg

CliffA 10-30-2018 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pilut2 (Post 581724)
Wait...what??

yeah, i was thinking the same thing, but being new to owning a Porsche i did not challenge them.....next time i will get more details and as i get more familiar with the car i will be able to call BS or not on things like this.....;)....

cliff