Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2018, 05:00 AM   #1

Garage

Greetings all. Thanks for your contributions. I lurked the forum a while before I was comfortable shopping a Boxster. I was fortunate to find this '99 w/99K on it, 3 owners, all purchased from and serviced at a Dealer. The last owner had the car for 14 years and was an enthusiast. He changed the tail light and side light assemblies. He gave me a signed copy of Wayne's book. It's going to a trusted mechanic for IMS.

I have a couple of questions:
I looked at the build codes and my car does not have heated seats, but there is a third window switch where the driver's side seat heat switch would be, and the passenger side is a blank.

Second, there is a sensor taped to the top of the windshield with a wire going into the padding. I don't think this is factory, although my build code has XD3 Rain Sensor.

May I have your thoughts?

Thanks!

Tailwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 05:52 AM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Welcome!
The windshield sensor looks like an automatic rain sensor, the third window switch is likely a custom switch, my best guess would be it's hooked up to a garage door opener.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:28 PM   #3

Garage
Questions about my car

Thanks Rick. I took the center unit out, and someone had apparently installed the switch. It had remnants of 2 wires wrapped around the terminals and taped on.
I swapped the switch with a blank from the dashboard and wired my remote to it, and tapped the +/- 12V from the cigarette lighter.

I gotta ask, is that what a factory rain sensor looks like?
Old 11-03-2018, 12:48 PM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
It's not OEM.
The original unit looks a bit different and has a tunnel for the wires to run to the dome light trim piece, IIRC.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:28 PM   #5

Garage
Thanks particlewave.

I didn't think the factory (or a dealer option for that matter) would be taped to the windshield.