986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Immobilizer 1997 Boxster - Question? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/73552-immobilizer-1997-boxster-question.html)

Marty97 10-20-2018 01:11 PM

Immobilizer 1997 Boxster - Question?

Hi folks, I'll be pulling the seat to take a look at the immobilizer after getting caught in a flash flood a while back. Got the car started but everything else not working is pointing to the immobilizer.

I live too far from a dealership and might need to replace the part myself. After some research it doesn't like like a tough job but I have a question hoping someone here can assist.

Q. If the immobilizer is not salvageable and I decide to install a new/fixed immobilizer, are they "plug and play" or would I still have to take it to the dealership to have something program on it?

Also, any tips/tricks when dealing with immobilizer would be much appreciated!

Best,
Marty

BirdDog 10-20-2018 09:30 PM

Marty

OUCH! It seems like a lot of people are getting bit by that lately (water fried immobilizer)...

If I were you, I would reach out to forum member Qmulus - he fixes them and from what I've heard he charges a bunch less than Specialized ECU Repair (they get $875 + your old one for an exchange).

Mind you, Specialized is still a LOT cheaper than what the dealer will charge you! But I would still give Qmulus a shout first.

Removing/installing the immobilizer is pretty easy. You have to remove the seat, then there are 2 cables that plug into the immobilizer and possibly an antenna connector (I don't think you'll have that on a 97). There's a plastic bolt thing on the right side that locks the immobilizer down - you just turn it 90 degrees counter clockwise to release it and the immobilizer will lift right out.

There's a nice video that Specialized ECU repair made on youtube that shows how to remove the immobilizer (to install their waterproof box).

If you haven't done it already, disconnect the battery. When you remove the immobilizer inspect the harness connectors for damage (rust, corrosion, etc).

If there's a possibility of your car seeing more flash flooding in the future you might want to look at getting the Specialized ECU Repair waterproof box for your immobilizer. I put one in my car and it's taken the worry out of rain for me. $150, but I think it's worth it.

As far as plug-and-play, I think if Qmulus is able to repair your old one you'll be able to just drop it back in. Same for Specialized ECU Repair - I think they copy over the programming to the one they send you back.

Marty97 10-21-2018 08:57 AM

Thank you BirDog! Much appreciated!

Will reach out as suggested and yes, living in Cozumel during hurricane season makes sense to get the waterproof casing when all is done ;)

Best,
Marty