986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Oil level (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/73492-oil-level.html)

Sundevil64 10-12-2018 03:58 AM

Oil level

I have a new to me Boxster, 2001 sport base (sport seats and 18" wheels, 2.7L) with 25k miles. I changed the oil and filter. The filter was clean of any debris as well as the magnet oil plug. I refilled it with 0-40 Mobil 1. I have having a hard time reading the level of oil in the car. I have put in 10 qtrs. Adding 1/2 qt at a time after crossing the 7 qt mark. The manual says volume is 9.3 its with filter.

Wouldn't I see it on the dip stick? The oil level gauge is not giving a reading either. Oil pressure is fine. I don't want to under fill it or over fill it.

How reliable is the oil level indicator? I always go by the dip stick as that has never lied to me.

Thanks.

kk2002s 10-12-2018 04:11 AM

I'm afraid if you put in 10 quarts you may have overfilled it. The most I have ever gotten in is maybe 9+ after dropping the sump.
The display will give you some guidance but I rely on the dip stick. It is hard to see fresh oil levels. Lay the end indicator on a paper towel to help see the level relative to the fill lines. If you do find it over filled, you can remove some by draining the filter canister

Sundevil64 10-12-2018 12:37 PM

Seems to be at the high mark, I think. It is so hard to tell. I stopped by a Porsche shop and they said it is hard to tell. Same for the coolant. No smoke. I did that on my first oil change of an air cooled 911. Freaked me out!

Thank you kk2002s for the time on the filter canister. That is a good idea.

Blackcloud 10-12-2018 04:28 PM

Sounds like too much oil unless the filter wasn’t full yet. I don’t keep mine at the top level. If oil gets sucked into the AOS under hard load condition you will get a smoke bomb. I leave it at 1/2 a quart short.

mgfranz 10-12-2018 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackcloud (Post 580951)
Sounds like too much oil unless the filter wasn’t full yet. I don’t keep mine at the top level. If oil gets sucked into the AOS under hard load condition you will get a smoke bomb. I leave it at 1/2 a quart short.

+1 I try to run about a 1/4-1/2 quart under indicated dipstick full just for this reason.

Sundevil64 10-14-2018 07:21 AM

ThNks all. It does no seem to be a problem, yet. U see hard acceleration no smoke. It seems to be at the top as far as I can tell. Really does not seem easy to read. And, it's not my eyes. Chuckle chuckle

Geof3 10-14-2018 10:29 PM

Doesn’t Raby recommend keeping the oil full topped up to help with starvation issues and helping with bathing the IMS more effectively? I run mine full up. Not been an issue.

maytag 10-15-2018 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geof3 (Post 581034)
Doesn’t Raby recommend keeping the oil full topped up to help with starvation issues and helping with bathing the IMS more effectively? I run mine full up. Not been an issue.

I would think on the street that's the right way to go. But those who track their boxster would likely find themselves regretting it quickly. The smoke bombs would be frequent, after every hard left corner, basically.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Geof3 10-15-2018 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maytag (Post 581040)
I would think on the street that's the right way to go. But those who track their boxster would likely find themselves regretting it quickly. The smoke bombs would be frequent, after every hard left corner, basically.

Hmm, interesting. I track my car often (albeit in street form) and never had an issue. It would be interesting to hear from some of the race guys. I would think a slightly possible smoke bomb would be preferable to sucking air...

maytag 10-16-2018 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geof3 (Post 581113)
...... I would think a slightly possible smoke bomb would be preferable to sucking air...

No argument from me on that point. I'd say I've become somewhat "notorious" for the smoke bomb, because I prefer it to the alternative you pointed out.
However, every time it happens there's dozens of boxster guys telling me how normal this is, and a quick search through this forum will show you the same thing.
Accelerating after a hard left hand turn is the most likely scenario for it to occur.
But you gotta be really getting after it to make it happen on street tires.