Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2018, 01:41 PM   #1

Getting my engine rebuilt, any extras to consider?

My 2003 S 3.2 engine that failed in early July is getting rebuilt. I decided to go with LN Nickies and my 3.2 will become a 3.6. The pacing factor for the rebuild is getting the Nickies conversion completed and my block sent back to my shop. In addition to the Nickies, my engine will be rebuilt with the LN IMS Permanent Solution and ARP rod bolts. Outside of the engine I'll have a 987 airbox and Fabspeed street headers with catalysts. I already have an underdrive pulley and the MantisSport extension kit 1 deep sump. My car is street driven and sees maybe 3 HPDE's per year. Are there any other things I should consider for my engine while it is being rebuilt?

2 things I've seen mentioned are the low temperature thermostat and an upgraded 987 oil pressure relief valve. My car never ran hot but with the increased displacement it seems like this might be something to consider. What does the 987 oil pressure relief valve do and is it something to consider here?

Would welcome any thoughts on these two items and any other upgrade items worth considering for my engine as it gets rebuilt. Once my block comes back from LN, then my shop will sit down with me and discuss options, but would like to make sure I consider a comprehensive list. Thanks in advance.

PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:16 PM   #2

Consider scrapping the SAI system?
Old 10-08-2018, 02:21 PM   #3

How about sending your heads to Hoffman Automotive so you can take full advantage of the LN 3.6 cylinders?

Hoffman Automotive Machine, Inc. - About Us
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:30 PM   #4

What is the benefit of deleting the SAI system? The only inspection we have in NJ now is to make sure the check engine light is off and to hook up the car to a computer and make sure there are no codes.

Hoffman looks interesting. My shop has a place that will do the valve job and whatever else the heads need and the heads will be "better than when they left the factory."
Old 10-08-2018, 03:49 PM   #5

Garage
You might think about the LN spin-on oil filter adapter. The oem bypass in the filter housing is thought by many to be inferior. There's lots of discussion on this site and Rennlist regarding the bypass in the oem vs the LN system.
dlud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlud View Post
You might think about the LN spin-on oil filter adapter. The oem bypass in the filter housing is thought by many to be inferior. There's lots of discussion on this site and Rennlist regarding the bypass in the oem vs the LN system.
The IMS Permanent Solution includes a special spin on oil filter adapter that also has the oil line that feeds the journal bearing in the IMS, so that’s covered, thanks!
Old 10-08-2018, 07:11 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
The IMS Permanent Solution includes a special spin on oil filter adapter that also has the oil line that feeds the journal bearing in the IMS, so that’s covered, thanks!
Ah, I missed the fact that you're putting in the Solution.
dlud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlud View Post
Ah, I missed the fact that you're putting in the Solution.
I see you're in Cambria. I've been coming out to Paso Robles for a week of bike riding every April for the past 10 years. Love to stop in Linn's for some apple pie a la mode before climbing up over Santa Rosa Creek Road. Our group took it off the agenda last year though as the wall is getting too steep for some of us!

Would love to have my Boxster S out there and drive up PCH to Ragged Point, as long as I didn't need to fill up my gas tank at Ragged Point, gas is always $1.50-$2.00 more per gallon there than anywhere else in California that I've seen!
Old 10-09-2018, 06:26 AM   #9

I'd consider returning to a normal crank pulley unless you plan to have the rotating assembly balanced with your flywheel and UDP installed.
deathsled986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
My 2003 S 3.2 engine that failed in early July is getting rebuilt. I decided to go with LN Nickies and my 3.2 will become a 3.6. The pacing factor for the rebuild is getting the Nickies conversion completed and my block sent back to my shop. In addition to the Nickies, my engine will be rebuilt with the LN IMS Permanent Solution and ARP rod bolts. Outside of the engine I'll have a 987 airbox and Fabspeed street headers with catalysts. I already have an underdrive pulley and the MantisSport extension kit 1 deep sump. My car is street driven and sees maybe 3 HPDE's per year. Are there any other things I should consider for my engine while it is being rebuilt?

2 things I've seen mentioned are the low temperature thermostat and an upgraded 987 oil pressure relief valve. My car never ran hot but with the increased displacement it seems like this might be something to consider. What does the 987 oil pressure relief valve do and is it something to consider here?

Would welcome any thoughts on these two items and any other upgrade items worth considering for my engine as it gets rebuilt. Once my block comes back from LN, then my shop will sit down with me and discuss options, but would like to make sure I consider a comprehensive list. Thanks in advance.
Go over your oil pump gears, looking for any signs of wear or damage, consider giving them a light polish with very fine emery paper. Also purchase the LN chrome moly oil pump drive shaft.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Go over your oil pump gears, looking for any signs of wear or damage, consider giving them a light polish with very fine emery paper. Also purchase the LN chrome moly oil pump drive shaft.
Thanks for that, my oil pump drive shaft was collateral damage in this engine failure.