Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2018, 04:14 PM   #1

Water Pump , thermostat and such questions

Well the Good Lord finally smiled upon me and I got some time to get back on my P car this afternoon. I got the coolant drained and the Water pump and thermostat housing off....and yes there is that one bolt on the water pump &^%*%^

My water pump impeller was just starting to rub and I could detect play in the pulley with my hand so it was time. My question is the gasket, it came off the water pump clean and off the engine block clean except it looks like more "stuff" need to come off to get it all the way off ????

Also with my new thermostat housing, I received an aluminum tube and two notches cut in at the top...almost like a special spanner of some sort ???

Thanks in advance

Dwight

Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:33 PM   #2
still plays with cars...

Garage
Original water pump?

It sounds as if that gasket is the original installed when the engine was built. It is also the gasket for the oil pump housing next to the water pump and that part of the gasket stays put when replacing the water pump.
When I swapped out my water pump, I found it was still attached to the engine after removing the pump. I just bent it back and forth until it let go from metal fatigue and installed a new metal gasket with my new Pierburg pump.
As for the notched tool, it is used to install a new thermostat in your old thermostat housing.
When I changed to a low temperature thermostat, it was already installed in a new thermostat housing. I just had to remove my old housing and bolt on the new one.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
Well the Good Lord finally smiled upon me and I got some time to get back on my P car this afternoon. I got the coolant drained and the Water pump and thermostat housing off....and yes there is that one bolt on the water pump &^%*%^

My water pump impeller was just starting to rub and I could detect play in the pulley with my hand so it was time. My question is the gasket, it came off the water pump clean and off the engine block clean except it looks like more "stuff" need to come off to get it all the way off ????

Also with my new thermostat housing, I received an aluminum tube and two notches cut in at the top...almost like a special spanner of some sort ???

Thanks in advance

Dwight
A scotch brite pad will do the job nicely, if you are referring to material left on the housing. If your pump was from the factory, the pump shares a gasket with the oil pump cassette, so it needs to be worked back and forth to break it off at the oil pump cassette housing.

Porsche thermostats use a “bayonet” mount, and you need the tube to depress and hold against the spring to get it out of the housing.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 10-06-2018 at 05:52 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:46 PM   #4

A word of warning

My gasket came off clean, looks like new. However, while trying to make the three cuts to release it (the top two are no big deal) I tho9ught the bottom was broken and pulled hard on the gasket and cut my fingers rather badly....be sure its free before you do this.

Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote