Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2023, 01:43 PM   #1

Parts needed for OBC hack - 2001 Boxster S

I am interested in activating the OBC in my 2001 Boxster S. I have cruise control already, but I am missing the 4th stalk for OBC. Is it as simple as installing the 4th stalk and activating the OBC with a durametric?

I found a used combination switch with the 4 stalks, but is says it "Will ONLY fit cruise control / onboard computer equipped models with the 4 lever combination switch assembly." Should I just ignore their warning?

Also, does my car have the OBC function built in? There isn't a lot of room under the center gauge. Thanks!

"Sixty percent of the time, it works every time!"
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 04:08 AM   #2
Registered Member

Detailed instructions are I Wayne’s 101 projects book and on various websites. You need the 4th stalk, some other bits (connectors, I recall), a Durametric or PIWIS and a couple hours.
Old 09-09-2023, 03:29 PM   #3

Thanks, looking at the project write up online, they pull the steering wheel to install the 4th stalk. However, it sounds like some people were able to do it without pulling the steering wheel.

It also looks like a forum member was selling harnesses to connect the the stalk to the gauge cluster. Any idea if they are still selling them? Or if there is a place to buy everything you need?

I found a used 4 stalk combo switch for $129. Wondering if there are better options out there.

Old 09-09-2023, 03:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
Thanks, looking at the project write up online, they pull the steering wheel to install the 4th stalk. However, it sounds like some people were able to do it without pulling the steering wheel.

It also looks like a forum member was selling harnesses to connect the the stalk to the gauge cluster. Any idea if they are still selling them? Or if there is a place to buy everything you need?

I found a used 4 stalk combo switch for $129. Wondering if there are better options out there.
I built my wire harness, but it was expensive to do so - there used to be someone on eBay that was selling the wires for a reasonable price. You don't have to remove the steering wheel if you don't want to hook up the 4th stock (people add a button to toggle and select) but honestly, I would do it the right way. BTW, I'm sure the functionality was cool in the early 2000s but the functionality isn't that impressive nowadays. I would say do it if you are looking for a fun project. My stock had an arm that was broken and that got me to do the upgrade.
Old 09-09-2023, 08:49 PM   #5

Thanks, I appreciate the perspective. Not sure the functionality is worth the trouble right now. I was just surprised it didn’t already have it. I think even my 80s bmw had it. I may wait until something is broken like you did.

Old 09-11-2023, 07:37 AM   #6

Danimal

If you use a durametic and turn on the OBC and then get a temperature reading on your cluster you have OBC capability.

It takes 4 wires and a ground from the OBC steering wheel stalk to the cluster connector. four wires need to have a pin on the end to insert into the cluster connector. Some folks know what they are doing and match pins up from electronic shops. Others buy two wires from Volkswagen and cut each in half to get 4 wires with pins.
You can add the OBC stalk without removing the steering wheel.
Once you have the OBC you may well be disappointed with the minimal information available.

Would I do it again, probably not. Good Luck
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 09:02 AM   #7

I did it the cheap way and wired switches into the centre console. I bought the VW wires and cut them, as mentioned. Works, but yeah, not a huge amount of value to it, I usually leave it on the fuel consumption setting. And mine was already enabled in the computer as I had the outside temp on the cluster before I started.
redpepperracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 07:18 AM   #8

When I activated the OBC in my 2004 Base, I was disappointed with the display and the information available. There are two different cluster/gauges, one has the OBC display, the other does not. I ended up buying a cluster on eBay and reprogramming the mileage to match. Worked great. Then the engine blew, I sold the car with the old cluster. Still have the OBC cluster. My replacement S already had OBC.

I bought the cable pre-made off of UK eBay, much easier. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175701924469

Last edited by randy328; 09-13-2023 at 07:26 AM.
randy328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 01:23 PM   #9

When I made my OBC wire harness I didn't use the VW wires to connect to the cluster as shown in the 101 book but rather used Molex connectors sourced from an e-Bay vendor. The other ends of the wires are connected to switches in the center console because I liked the idea or replacing the plastic dummies with functional switches.

I'll readily agree with everyone who said that the information that the OBC provides is, well, unimpressive... Even so, making and installing the cable and getting the OBC to work was a fun project and I'm glad I did it.

more on my OBC project here;https://rx19jones.wixsite.com/projectboxster/projectboxster-1

dj