Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2024, 11:27 AM   #1

Garage
P1341 and P0430 Codes - Stored, no CEL 2003 S

I just hooked my Foxwell NT530 into the OBD port to discover two generic codes: P1341 (inlet camshaft bank 1) and P0430 (Cat. converter efficiency, bank 2) had come back after clearing some time ago.

I'm asking about these codes after extensive search because I was curious what others think: The P1341 code came about after I had the IMS replaced with the IMS Solution almost 2 years ago. I had the shop that did the work take a look with their durametric to see if there were any cam deviations, they said they looked to be in spec (I didnt get a readout, in hindsight should've). The P0430 code came after I did the plug/coils and didn't seat the connector on cylinder 5 coil pack (or 6, cant recall) and got a massive misfire/flashing CEL. Flat bedded car home, reseated the connector, all has been good.

My question is what might cause these two cleared codes to come back? My initial thought is I should be looking at the bank 1 Variocam Plus solenoid, checking oil for green or brown bits (its due for an oil change). The bank 2 car efficiency is more confusing as it hasnt misfired at all.

I've read about codes that are:
  • stored
  • pending
  • stale

And it would seem these have to be stale... yet they're back.

Car seems to drive normal, tho my b*tt dyno tells me there's a slight fall off of power at higher RPM - but that might just be normal too. Idle after warm up is varies in a range of +/- 50 RPM from about 670-700 rpm or so. Startup there's no chain rattle just some clatter I would think are injectors. At 3000+ RPM in 6th gear there is some driveline vibration (engine mount changed 1000 miles ago, greatly reduced this) that I think could be trans mounts going out. No real hesitation or stumbles otherwise.

I was thinking of going back to an indy to check out cam deviations and have them do an oil change looking for brown/green bits (or do that myself). I was also considering spending $280 for a bank 1 variocam plus solenoid as well. Just don't really know best way to proceed.

Old 04-11-2024, 12:39 PM   #2

P1341 Camshaft Adjustment, Bank 1 – Below Limit

Potential causes:

– Short to ground

– Actuator faulty

– Open circuit in triggering wire

– Open circuit in B+ supply

P0430:

P0430 indicates that the main three-way catalytic converter on bank 2 conversion level is too low. Clear the code, then compare the O2 sensor voltages before and after the cat, if the voltage traces are following each other, the cat is toast.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 04-11-2024 at 12:46 PM.
JFP in PA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 12:52 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
P1341 Camshaft Adjustment, Bank 1 – Below Limit

Potential causes:

– Short to ground

– Actuator faulty

– Open circuit in triggering wire

– Open circuit in B+ supply

P0430:

P0430 indicates that the main three-way catalytic converter on bank 2 conversion level is too low. Clear the code, then compare the O2 sensor voltages before and after the cat, if the voltage traces are following each other, the cat is toast.
Right, I have found the P1341 info before - hence why I was considering looking at a new solenoid to start. My understanding with the 986.2 is that with Variocam Plus (oil driven, infinitely variable adjustment) faulty actuators aren't the same as with a 986.1 and its DME-driven actuator. With a Plus engine, my understanding is the oil passage would have to be blocked (potentially with either green bits from a solenoid O-Ring or brown bits from chain guides - something I'm looking for next oil change.)

What I am asking though is if the circumstances that caused these initially haven't been repeated, why would they come back? Could a misfire duration of less than 10 minutes from a poorly seated plug cause cat failure? Just seems odd that 2 specific situations that haven't repeated would result in these conditions.
Old 04-11-2024, 01:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZeke View Post
Right, I have found the P1341 info before - hence why I was considering looking at a new solenoid to start. My understanding with the 986.2 is that with Variocam Plus (oil driven, infinitely variable adjustment) faulty actuators aren't the same as with a 986.1 and its DME-driven actuator. With a Plus engine, my understanding is the oil passage would have to be blocked (potentially with either green bits from a solenoid O-Ring or brown bits from chain guides - something I'm looking for next oil change.)

What I am asking though is if the circumstances that caused these initially haven't been repeated, why would they come back? Could a misfire duration of less than 10 minutes from a poorly seated plug cause cat failure? Just seems odd that 2 specific situations that haven't repeated would result in these conditions.
Blindly swapping parts without actually knowing where the fault lies is waste of time and money. You don't know if it is the unit itself, or a problem with the wiring, which is very common.

The Vario Cam plus system can be test and activated with the appropriate diagnostic tool while still in the running engine, and the unit can actually also be removed and bench tested with a 9 volt battery. As for the oil passages, again, proper diagnostics will show you if that is the case; more than once, we have "saved" a Vario Cam actuator by simply pulling it out cleaning it out, testing it, and then cleaning it out. And these things ain't cheap.

Cats fail for all sorts of reasons, sometimes another fault simply pushes it over the edge, but again, proper diagnostics can tell you if it is bad or not.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 04-11-2024 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-12-2024, 12:17 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
. As for the oil passages, again, proper diagnostics will show you if that is the case; more than once, we have "saved" a Vario Cam actuator by simply pulling it out cleaning it out, testing it, and then cleaning it out. And these things ain't cheap.
Actuator, or solenoid? Are the Variocam Plus actuators removable without removing the valve cover like on the earlier 986.1? Solenoid removal seems easy; little difference from a plug and coil and an easy access location externally on bank 1 in the center of the valve cover. I may remove that solenoid to play with it (after purchasing a new seal cover), but if there's a link discussing/showing pics of variocam plus actuators as well that would be helpful. Searches turn up everything about the DME-controlled variocam but precious little on the Plus unless I check out 9x7 forums. Doesn't seem to be in Bentley, 101 Projects doesn't discuss it either. The Workshop manual I have is for a 5-chain engine.

I also need a Durametric, can confirm the Foxwell NT530 does not have in the Drive Links or Active Tests submenus any provision for Cam deviation, solenoid activation or the like that Durametric does.

Also, at ~$280 these solenoids aren't terribly expensive especially given the ease of installation. I don't know the part number for the actuators though, and I imagine at that point I would looking at a complete engine teardown to get the timing chain tensioners, pads, and a couple other things done for good. At that point I don't think I would bother though, I'm already into this car for close to double its value - someone else can rebuild it.

Last edited by JZeke; 04-12-2024 at 12:20 PM.
JZeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 12:42 PM   #6

Garage
Seems the more I read into Variocam Plus vs Variocam on 9x6.2 and 9x7 cars, there is no actuator per se like on the older cars.

The solenoid (behind the valve cover) costs nearly $800 (!!!) for these early "Variocam" cars. The externally accessed "Variocam Plus" solenoid is dirt cheap in comparison, and seems the only issue I could have if replacement doesn't work is the chain pads.
Old 04-12-2024, 01:13 PM   #7

.................................................. ....................................

Last edited by JFP in PA; 04-12-2024 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Deleted
Old 04-14-2024, 06:47 AM   #8

Garage
Curious what the deleted response was...

Honestly just trying to get a holistic view of the Variocam Plus system as few people have written much about it. Spending time is fine -- this is a hobby car not my daily -- and I enjoy learning about the design/engineering solutions engineers come up with. More surprised there's little discussion about Variocam Plus in the 986.2/996.2 community, which leads me to believe faults are currently rare.

That all said, looking at 9A1 987.2s is more compelling every passing day.

Last edited by JZeke; 04-14-2024 at 06:53 AM.
JZeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 04:41 PM   #9

My bet is what he was implying is get the right tools and get the right instructions and do the right tests and interpret them correctly. Instructions come with flow charts and lots of details. Test this this way and if you get these results then do this. For these codes they get complicated.

There are samples here if you search for those codes. Though they may not match your specific engine.

Or pay the person who has all that and the experience ... which is liable to be cheaper than shotgunning parts.