986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Blocked Convertible Drain (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/73399-blocked-convertible-drain.html)

gharlowe 10-02-2018 02:16 PM

Blocked Convertible Drain

While trying to clear some debris from the convertible drain on the passenger side (beneath the foam catch basin), I inadvertently pushed it into the drain line itself. Unfortunately, it's a piece of round plastic that's a perfect fit for the drain hole. Needle nose pliers and a shop vac didn't work. I don't believe it can be pushed down all the way through the drain line so the drain line will have to pulled to clean it out.

I understand to remove the drain line, I'll have to access it through the rear tire well and remove the splash guards. Has anyone done this and are there any tips?

Thanks very much!

MWS 10-02-2018 04:49 PM

I would think that (with some creative thinking) you should be able to get the piece out without having to remove the entire drain line. Is the piece still visible? If so, there are many things you could do to try and retieve it from the top. If not, what about compressed air (from the bottom) or a thin gauge wire (knotted at the end) to push it from below? If it's broken into pieces, how about using a shop-vac on the top to suck nylon twine from the bottom and then "floss" it out.

The ideas are endless....

78F350 10-02-2018 04:59 PM

Here's a pic of the right side drain tube with the splash guard off:

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1538527394.jpg

I've done this a few times. Taking the drain line out should be a last resort, unless the foam drip tray around the top is already ruined. With access to the drain, you may be able to work the blockage down to the bottom.
Instead of removing the drain, try:
  • Use a small flexible tube at the tip of your shop vac. I wadded a bunch of duct tape around a scrap piece of tubing to make that work.
  • Poke a long flexible thing up the drain line from the bottom. I have a flexible plastic rod, but a straightened wire clothes hangar may work.
  • Use an air compressor to blow up from the bottom of the drain. Don't have an air compressor? You could use water and a garden hose, but mind the water.... :eek:

gharlowe 10-03-2018 01:18 PM

Thanks for inspiring me to be more creative. The photo was helpful too. I was able to force the blockage out from the bottom using the flexible sheath from a bicycle cable without removing the wheel or splash guards. Problem solved. Thanks again!

professorman 10-25-2022 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 78F350 (Post 580295)
Here's a pic of the right side drain tube with the splash guard off:

I've done this a few times. Taking the drain line out should be a last resort, unless the foam drip tray around the top is already ruined. With access to the drain, you may be able to work the blockage down to the bottom.
Instead of removing the drain, try:
  • Use a small flexible tube at the tip of your shop vac. I wadded a bunch of duct tape around a scrap piece of tubing to make that work.
  • Poke a long flexible thing up the drain line from the bottom. I have a flexible plastic rod, but a straightened wire clothes hangar may work.
  • Use an air compressor to blow up from the bottom of the drain. Don't have an air compressor? You could use water and a garden hose, but mind the water.... :eek:

Thank you for the diagram. I had a round plastic push button stuck in my drain tube. Compressed air, vacuum, etc wouldn't get it out. It was smooth on top almost like a marble, and would not come out.

I pulled off the splash shield, removed the wheel. I undid the two plastic clips for the drip tray, and carefully bent it back, I was able to remove the hard plastic tube with very specific careful maneuver and working my way under the foam tray. I had to twist the plastic tube in various ways to work it out, and I was successful in navigating it out without ripping my foam tray.

nicecar 10-30-2022 05:04 PM

weed eater line works well