986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Mystery Hose (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/73331-mystery-hose.html)

Toyguy 09-21-2018 06:43 PM

Mystery Hose

Wondering if anyone might know what this hose is supposed to go to? I found it laying around under the right cowling panel in the front trunk while cleaning and checking my drain and changing the cabin air filter.

It runs along the back of the cowl area and seems to go into the right wheel well area.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02/Hose1537584183.jpg

maytag 09-21-2018 07:08 PM

Looks, for all the world, like a battery vent. Did they still do that in the '00's?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

particlewave 09-21-2018 07:26 PM

Yes, it's the battery vent line.

Toyguy 09-21-2018 08:40 PM

Interesting! I suspected it might be that but wanted to be sure. I'll just zip-tie it out of the way. Thanks!

MWS 09-21-2018 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toyguy (Post 579732)
Interesting! I suspected it might be that but wanted to be sure. I'll just zip-tie it out of the way. Thanks!

Well, I'd reconnect it...a battery vent line does serve a purpose. ;)

Geof3 09-21-2018 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toyguy (Post 579732)

Yes, your battery should have a hole in the side of the top plate, probably one on each side. Just plug the elbow connector into it.

maytag 09-21-2018 10:30 PM

I don't recall the last time I saw a battery with a vent on it.
? Anyone ?

particlewave 09-21-2018 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maytag (Post 579736)
I don't recall the last time I saw a battery with a vent on it.
? Anyone ?

Maybe you're not looking? :p
Mine does. ;)

Standard lead acid batteries produce explosive and corrosive gasses when charging and must be vented.

paulofto 09-22-2018 04:18 AM

My 2 year old Interstate has one.

MWS 09-22-2018 12:07 PM

Just to clarify (and adding my minuscule knowledge of batteries) most new batteries are sold as "maintenance free", but that does necessarily mean that they don't require venting as there are a few types that are internally completely different. When I think of a vented battery, I think of the "wet cell lead acid battery" which (I believe) is still the most common, but even the newer VRLA batteries do/can off-gas hydrogen, but there is a sub-category of AGM (which I have no first hand experience with) which uses an internal mat to absorb gassing.

Bottom line, if there is a hole, plug or bung at the top to accept a vent tube, plug one in. If there isn't, don't go drilling holes so you can plug one in. ;)

jaykay 09-22-2018 02:02 PM

Maybe he is an AGMer.....

maytag 09-22-2018 04:10 PM

As a creature of habit, I replace all of my batteries with optima batteries. Different technology, no vent. However..... I seriously can't recall the last time I unhooked a vent from a battery. Nor do I recall seeing a vent "tap" on a battery I was removing. But I wasn't really looking, either, because there was no vent hose....

particlewave 09-22-2018 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maytag (Post 579762)
As a creature of habit, I replace all of my batteries with optima batteries. Different technology, no vent. However..... I seriously can't recall the last time I unhooked a vent from a battery. Nor do I recall seeing a vent "tap" on a battery I was removing. But I wasn't really looking, either, because there was no vent hose....

Battery vent hoses are generally only found in cars that have the battery sealed in a trunk space. If the battery is in the engine compartment, there usually won't be a vent hose connected to the vent (sometimes a nipple, sometimes just a small hole).

MWS 09-22-2018 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maytag (Post 579762)
As a creature of habit, I replace all of my batteries with optima batteries. Different technology, no vent....

The is reason #(I forget what number I'm on, lol) that I enjoy this forum. A thread may start with an idea/question and eventually to something related that peaks my curiosity and I end up learning something.

Today's lesson...I didn't know all Optima batteries were AGM. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle, right? :)