986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Fuel Filler Flap (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/73323-fuel-filler-flap.html)

Lew 09-20-2018 04:17 PM

Fuel Filler Flap

On page 50-2 in the Bentley Manual it gives instruction on removing the fuel flap. It's not working for me. I have tried several bone tools and super thin screwdrivers and cannot get the unit off it's mount. I want to remove the flap so it will give me more room to remove the metal rivet that holds the tether in place. Mine broke, but I am going to repair using a piece of Shrink Wrap. I have done this before on other cars and it works great. It would not be a good idea to heat the shrink wrap near the gas cap.

jdavis8361 09-20-2018 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lew (Post 579645)
On page 50-2 in the Bentley Manual it gives instruction on removing the fuel flap. It's not working for me. I have tried several bone tools and super thin screwdrivers and cannot get the unit off it's mount. I want to remove the flap so it will give me more room to remove the metal rivet that holds the tether in place. Mine broke, but I am going to repair using a piece of Shrink Wrap. I have done this before on other cars and it works great. It would not be a good idea to heat the shrink wrap near the gas cap.

Unless you use a heat gun on the shrink wrap.

Lew 09-21-2018 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdavis8361 (Post 579651)
Unless you use a heat gun on the shrink wrap.

I won't be using anything near the fuel fill tube.

JFP in PA 09-21-2018 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lew (Post 579645)

The rivet that hold the tether in place should be plastic.

Lew 09-21-2018 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 579670)
The rivet that hold the tether in place should be plastic.

That's true it is plastic, however there is not enough room to remove it.

JFP in PA 09-21-2018 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lew (Post 579674)
That's true it is plastic, however there is not enough room to remove it.

It should pop right out, we replace these things all the time for customers, and it should take about 5 seconds to do.