986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   frunk issue (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/73294-frunk-issue.html)

Blackcloud 09-17-2018 04:46 PM

frunk issue

Yesterday I was up in Massachusetts for the Zone 1 autocross. It was hot and humid all day. When packing up to leave, the front trunk would not open. No cable noise whatsoever. 2004 base Boxster. Weird. This has happened before, once, on a very hot day. It did open when I got home after a 40 minute drive. I opened up the front latch mechanism and lubed everything. This time I did some creative packing to get all my gear to the Ferry in New London. When I arrived, the latch worked, and the frunk opened as normal. This has me stumped. Any similar experiences out there, or solutions? Thanks, Mitch

Toyguy 09-17-2018 05:27 PM

Only thing that comes to my very noob-ish mind is maybe a bit of heat stretching in the cable so the latch doesn't pull quite far enough. As you drive and the vehicle cools down, it shrinks enough to work again?

Just brainstorming - I'm assuming there is a cable involved. :-)

jrj3rd 09-17-2018 05:42 PM

Bet the two bumpers in the front corners expand in the heat and are putting pressure on trunk. Would bet that it would have unlatched if someone was applying pressure down on your frunk lid. If it is really hot screw them down a little before you close frunk

particlewave 09-17-2018 06:17 PM

A failing actuator will be weaker when hot.

maytag 09-17-2018 07:44 PM

I had precisely the same problem at the racetrack on sunday. For the record, I did, in fact, try applying pressure on the lid while working the actuator, with no joy. Like you, I couldn't hear any sounds at all when I'd press the button.
Several minutes later (after I'd creatively packed my gear into the front seat, but still had the spare tire to go...) it suddenly worked again.

Particlewave's suggestion has merit. Anyone had an actuator go bad and replaced it?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Deserion 09-18-2018 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 579446)
A failing actuator will be weaker when hot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maytag (Post 579451)
Particlewave's suggestion has merit. Anyone had an actuator go bad and replaced it?

Yep, had the same issue. Got a used actuator and that resolved the problem (and then got a new actuator when the frunklid was replaced :rolleyes: ).

Anker 09-18-2018 04:42 AM

Me too!

After Autocrossing hard in hot weather exactly the same symptoms. I ended up replacing the latch (got the "new" one from Woody). Not a hard job at all and everything worked as it should at the next AX. Then this spring when I cleaned my radiators and put screens in the intakes I discovered that the right cooling fan wasn't working and replaced it. I believe the heat from the radiator with the bad fan contributed to the problem.

Blackcloud 09-18-2018 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anker (Post 579459)
Me too!

After Autocrossing hard in hot weather exactly the same symptoms. I ended up replacing the latch (got the "new" one from Woody). Not a hard job at all and everything worked as it should at the next AX. Then this spring when I cleaned my radiators and put screens in the intakes I discovered that the right cooling fan wasn't working and replaced it. I believe the heat from the radiator with the bad fan contributed to the problem.

Hey Anker. Nice meeting you at the zone. I was walking the course with you.

Blackcloud 09-18-2018 06:59 AM

Thanks for all the replies. The hot actuator makes sense. We did push down on it but to no avail.

Anker 09-18-2018 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackcloud (Post 579469)
Hey Anker. Nice meeting you at the zone. I was walking the course with you.

I really enjoyed meeting and chatting with you New Yorkers. Considering the number of you who came you did incredibly well. Hope you find a venue as good as Devens!

See you next year!

Blackcloud 09-19-2018 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anker (Post 579488)
I really enjoyed meeting and chatting with you New Yorkers. Considering the number of you who came you did incredibly well. Hope you find a venue as good as Devens!

See you next year!

Yeah, it’s problematic here on Long Island. We would love to use Calverton, but they won’t let us. 14000 runway where Grumman used to build/test F-14s. Now we just have Tobay Beach and the Nassau Coliseum, which may go away. Be well Anker.