986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Ready to start after rebuild (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/73238-ready-start-after-rebuild.html)

flouese 09-11-2018 03:32 AM

Ready to start after rebuild

My motor replacement took such a long time (3 months) due to being in the rainy season and work, I am finally ready to try and start it (2.5L) for the first time. Full of fresh oil, replaced transmission fluid, brakes bled, master cylinder replaced.

Only issue I currently know of is my post cat O2 sensors are not connected since the replacement cats do not have a bung to insert the sensor. Will this be a problem with startup? My intentions are once the car starts take it to a shop that will install the bungs in the proper location.

Are there any tidbits that will save me a lot of aggravation and frustration after I turn the key for the first time?

Paul 09-11-2018 08:33 AM

No issue with startup. Have a fire extinguisher handy and a plan to get your car outside if necessary.

flouese 09-12-2018 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 579104)
No issue with startup. Have a fire extinguisher handy and a plan to get your car outside if necessary.

This is all the advise and pointers the forum could come up with? After the amount of time, effort and money I put into this, I am hoping not to screw anything up by not doing a pre-start up check of some sort. PLEASE ADVISE!!!

Gilles 09-12-2018 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flouese (Post 579150)
This is all the advise and pointers the forum could come up with? After the amount of time, effort and money I put into this, I am hoping not to screw anything up by not doing a pre-start up check of some sort. PLEASE ADVISE!!!

Ok, what about following Jake Raby recommendations..?

He cranks the engine right before starts running and shuts it off immediately, this is to allow the engine to build oil pressure, and repeats this procedure a few times until the internal components are properly lubed, then starts the engine and lets it warm properly,
it makes a lot of sense.

flouese 09-12-2018 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilles (Post 579156)

He cranks the engine right before starts running and shuts it off immediately, this is to allow the engine to build oil pressure, and repeats this procedure a few times until the internal components are properly lubed, then starts the engine and lets it warm properly,
it makes a lot of sense.

Thanks. This is what I am looking for.

garv214 09-12-2018 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilles (Post 579156)

it makes a lot of sense.

...and then have a fire extinguisher ready...:cool:

Paul 09-12-2018 02:27 PM

Since it is a used motor no break in is needed, double check all your connections and fluid levels. Open the coolant tank vent. With the engine cover off, have an assistant standing by with a fire extinguisher and have him watch for leaks (especially fuel). Shutdown if anything is leaking, no oil pressure, or excessive noise.

78F350 09-12-2018 02:34 PM

Lastly, have a spectator standing by recording it on video and capturing your big grin. The first start only happens once.

Cunningr 09-12-2018 08:43 PM

Prayer to engine god! After double checking there is oil in the engine! Lol good luck

flouese 09-13-2018 03:25 AM

Appreciate the assist. Saturday will be the day... I will either be smiling or saying a whole bunch of Sailor words I haven't used since I retired from the Navy!

Deserion 09-13-2018 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flouese (Post 579230)
I will either be smiling or saying a whole bunch of Sailor words I haven't used since I retired from the Navy!

Why not both? :D :cheers: Good luck!

flouese 09-13-2018 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deserion (Post 579231)
Why not both? :D :cheers: Good luck!

You can always swing by Callahan and enjoy the show!

flouese 09-16-2018 07:51 AM

UPDATE: Engine started up fine, runs smooth and sounds good and no CEL even with the post cat O2 sensors not connected. However, Have a coolant leak from the "3-way hose". Problem is the overflow hose starts draining at a small stream at just above normal operating temps (slightly to the right of the 8 in 180). Any thoughts?