986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Electrical Problems (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/73155-electrical-problems.html)

Markmcd64 08-31-2018 06:57 AM

Electrical Problems

I have an 01 Boxster that had water invade the cockpit under the driver seat. The control unit was shorted. I sent the unit to be repaired, but am still having issue with the power locks, power windows, keyless entry, and the car will not start. Any ideas of what to check next??

TNT79Bronco 08-31-2018 07:43 AM

Tell us more about the repair you had done. What parts did you send and what did they do?

particlewave 08-31-2018 10:34 AM

Contact ECU Doctors and tell them it's still not working.

Markmcd64 08-31-2018 03:40 PM

Electrical problems

I removed the burnt board and sent it, along with the ECM and key to ECU Doctors. I got the repaired unit back, but I still have the same issues. They suggested cleaning the hardness, so I did several times. The issues still exist. No power windows, no power locks, no keyless entry, and no start. I have plenty of power, newer battery.

Markmcd64 08-31-2018 03:44 PM

I sent the board, ECM, and key to the ECU Doctors and they replaced the board. It was supposed to be plug and play, but I am having all the same issues- no power locks, no power windows, no keyless entry, and no start. They told me that the harness must be corroded, so I cleaned it several times, but no change.

particlewave 08-31-2018 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markmcd64 (Post 578472)
I sent the board, ECM, and key to the ECU Doctors and they replaced the board. It was supposed to be plug and play, but I am having all the same issues- no power locks, no power windows, no keyless entry, and no start. They told me that the harness must be corroded, so I cleaned it several times, but no change.

Tell them that. They've screwed up before.

thstone 08-31-2018 07:34 PM

What does "cleaning the harness" mean? If you mean that you cleaned the contacts/pins in the wire harness connector, that may not be sufficient since the corrosion can go up through the connector and into the wires themselves. Did you try verifying continuity between the wire harness connector pins and other points in the wire harness?

If it were my car, I'd swap everything (ECU, immob, and key transmitter) into a another (working) car to verify that everything works. If everything works, then its your wiring harness and you're likely going to have to go pin by pin to find the signals that aren't working. If the electronics don't work in the good car, then send it back to ECU Doctors.

Markmcd64 09-01-2018 07:03 AM

Electrical problems

I did tell them and they insist that it is an issue on my end. Thanks for the help. I plan on calling them again next week.

Markmcd64 09-02-2018 11:13 AM

Electrical problems

Ok, so I did find a burnt fuse and I replaced it. Now I have power windows, power locks, and keyless entry. The car still will not turn over. Any ideas what to check next?

Paul 09-02-2018 03:26 PM

Clutch switch?

Markmcd64 09-03-2018 07:42 AM

Electrical problems

Not it. I bypassed the switch still no fire.

jsceash 09-03-2018 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markmcd64 (Post 578472)

The immobilizer is under the seat. Which modules did you send out. Was it the Immobilizer, ECU (from Trunk) and key?

Markmcd64 09-03-2018 10:32 AM

I sent all three- the module under the seat, the ECM in the truck, and the key.

Markmcd64 09-03-2018 11:58 AM

One new development that I just noticed. When I push the lock/unlock button on the key, the is the noise from the locks engaging and disengaging, but there was a new noise coming from the passenger side front fender. The noise sounds like something is rattling.

BFeller 09-03-2018 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markmcd64 (Post 578580)
One new development that I just noticed. When I push the lock/unlock button on the key, the is the noise from the locks engaging and disengaging, but there was a new noise coming from the passenger side front fender. The noise sounds like something is rattling.

The gas cap locking and unlocking.

Paul 09-03-2018 02:26 PM

Tell us what happens when you turn the key to the start position.

Markmcd64 09-03-2018 04:20 PM

When the key is in the on position, it is totally normal. Everything works as if it were going to start.

Paul 09-04-2018 05:09 PM

So it does nothing when the key is turned to the start position? Did the ignition switch get wet too? Did you buy this car as a flood vehicle?

Markmcd64 09-05-2018 04:05 AM

No and no. I guess that one of the drains for the roof got clogged and cause water to come into the cockpit. That cause the module under the seat to short out. This is why I had repaired. As far as the ignition position, when the key is on everything works fine- radio, power windows, power locks, convertible top, it just doesn’t fire when I try to turn it over. I have sent the car to a shop that specializes in Porsche repairs. They are going to do some testing. Thanks for the help.

Brian in Tucson 09-05-2018 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markmcd64 (Post 578678)
No and no. I guess that one of the drains for the roof got clogged and cause water to come into the cockpit. That cause the module under the seat to short out. This is why I had repaired. As far as the ignition position, when the key is on everything works fine- radio, power windows, power locks, convertible top, it just doesn’t fire when I try to turn it over. I have sent the car to a shop that specializes in Porsche repairs. They are going to do some testing. Thanks for the help.

Good luck!