986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Best year for Boxster S? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/73149-best-year-boxster-s.html)

Oli 08-30-2018 11:25 AM

Best year for Boxster S?
 
I am thinking the latest is the best, but other than a new one, what would be the best year and why?
How about colour for resale?
__________________

mikefocke 08-30-2018 02:53 PM

Tell us your location and budget and why you want a Boxster and what you are going to use it for and we'll be better able to give you some advice. Since prices vary by $60k+ the details make a difference.

Oli 08-30-2018 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikefocke (Post 578412)
Tell us your location and budget and why you want a Boxster and what you are going to use it for and we'll be better able to give you some advice. Since prices vary by $60k+ the details make a difference.

My location is not a big deal as most of us PCA members put up our vehicles during the winter months. As far as budget nothing over $80k. Fair weather driving. We are in the PNW.
Thanks

jdraupp 08-30-2018 06:21 PM

He asking for your location and budget because your post has a tinge of spammer to it. We've had a lot of spam posts that then light us up with links to various nefarious sites.

You say you're a pca member. What chapter? What other porsches have you owned? Any links with other PCA members in your region to talk to them about their cars? How long have you been a pca member?

dghii 08-30-2018 06:36 PM

I don't get it...
You are on a 986 forum so the majority of members have cars that are now 14 to 21 years old. With an $80K budget, you should be looking for a newer car, maybe even on a forum that has more members with newer cars.

Most of us would be happy to sell our cars and keep you under your budget by a bit!

78F350 08-30-2018 06:52 PM

"Best" Best what? Fun, reliability, prestige, track toy, investment, daily driver...?
Tell us more about why you are asking the question and we will direct you to how you should spend your money.

I'm guessing you're not a complete troll/spammer because you replied to a question already, in context.

My best answer to the question is: 2004 in GT Silver Metallic with a Cocoa Brown Leather interior. Why? The last of the 986s and of the 'analog' Porsches. Rare color combo because it was limited production, not limited taste. They have held their value well compared with the other Boxster production.

lskolnick 08-30-2018 06:58 PM

2000 Boxster S because it has a proper instrument cluster layout.

mikefocke 08-30-2018 07:08 PM

At $80k you can pretty much pick any Boxster S (after 2009) that strikes your fancy including the latest model 918S (4 cyl turbo) or the prior 981S (flat 6) and each could have a warranty (original or CPO). I never found the model year or even the size of the engine influenced my permagrin but everyone is different.

718forum.com will give you one view, planet-9.com another

or your local PCA meeting.

Oli 08-30-2018 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdraupp (Post 578419)
He asking for your location and budget because your post has a tinge of spammer to it. We've had a lot of spam posts that then light us up with links to various nefarious sites.

You say you're a pca member. What chapter? What other porsches have you owned? Any links with other PCA members in your region to talk to them about their cars? How long have you been a pca member?

INWR
'76 Carrera 2.7MFI
Since 2013
My neighbour has a Boxster, not an 'S'. He loves it, not sure of the year.

Oli 08-30-2018 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikefocke (Post 578425)
At $80k you can pretty much pick any Boxster S (after 2009) that strikes your fancy including the latest model 918S (4 cyl turbo) or the prior 981S (flat 6) and each could have a warranty (original or CPO). I never found the model year or even the size of the engine influenced my permagrin but everyone is different.

718forum.com will give you one view, planet-9.com another

or your local PCA meeting.

Only a couple in our club and they don't have knowledge through the years it has been produced.

Oli 08-30-2018 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 78F350 (Post 578421)
"Best" Best what? Fun, reliability, prestige, track toy, investment, daily driver...?
Tell us more about why you are asking the question and we will direct you to how you should spend your money.

I'm guessing you're not a complete troll/spammer because you replied to a question already, in context.

My best answer to the question is: 2004 in GT Silver Metallic with a Cocoa Brown Leather interior. Why? The last of the 986s and of the 'analog' Porsches. Rare color combo because it was limited production, not limited taste. They have held their value well compared with the other Boxster production.

Every range of P cars have particular versions that are more desirable and less troublesome (ims). Investment quality would be a plus and would definitely work into the decision. Not a daily driver as nearly everyone in the PNW puts their vehicle up for the winter.
Would the Spyder fit the bill?

Oli 08-30-2018 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dghii (Post 578420)
I don't get it...
You are on a 986 forum so the majority of members have cars that are now 14 to 21 years old. With an $80K budget, you should be looking for a newer car, maybe even on a forum that has more members with newer cars.

Most of us would be happy to sell our cars and keep you under your budget by a bit!

Fellow Rennlist member says he would be interested in the response of people on this forum, so I took up his suggestion and posted the same question.

kk2002s 08-31-2018 04:51 AM

NOT an investment, driving fun and for some DIY hobby.
Your budget gives you a lot of options. Being that this is a 986 forum that is going to be the perspective and familiarity bias you will get here.
Personally with your budget, 2004ish 911 turbo. AWD so you don't have to layup in the winter
I could never comprehend spending $55k-$65k on a new 986 but people did just that and someone did on my boxster
You need to tell us a bit more of your intentions:
Are you a DIY person? Track days? My knee jerk is get 3rd generation 2009+, past the IMSB

jdraupp 08-31-2018 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oli (Post 578429)
Every range of P cars have particular versions that are more desirable and less troublesome (ims). Investment quality would be a plus and would definitely work into the decision. Not a daily driver as nearly everyone in the PNW puts their vehicle up for the winter.
Would the Spyder fit the bill?

The spyder is the most pure version of what the boxster should be, sans fluff like door handles and dash shrouds and automatic roofs. Plus they are rare so you're likely holding on to a bit more of a collector's item. If you're looking to avoid IMS, look for a 2009 or newer with the DFI 9A1 engine. I'd personally recommend stopping just before you get to the turbo 4 718. Especially if you own a 76 911, you're going to be let down by the Subaru sound if you buy a 17 or newer.

DWBOX2000 08-31-2018 07:09 AM

2000, 1st year awesomeness. Though a glass window would be nice. What year did the ims bearing become a big swap job to replace? Not that they need to be replaced, but it's something to consider if your the worrying type.

Flavor 987S 08-31-2018 07:28 AM

Yeah, look for a used Spyer in your budget.

paulofto 08-31-2018 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWBOX2000 (Post 578444)
What year did the ims bearing become a big swap job to replace?

Half way through 2005 up to 2008.

For 986 get a 2003 or 2004.
For 987 get a 2009 to 2012

Racer Boy 08-31-2018 08:01 AM

With a budget of $80K, I'd get a 981 Boxster or Cayman, which was made from 2013 to 2016. It's the last series made with the flat six, and it appears that the depreciation curve has bottomed out for these cars. You should be able to find a good one for $45 - 55K.

rexcramer 08-31-2018 08:14 AM

Any 2009 or newer. No more IMS issues, debates, discussions, arguments, etc. We bought a 2009S, PDK, 25K ODO, Bilstein PSS9, IPD plenum. ECU flash for $27K in March/17. This thing is a rocket ship.

Oli 08-31-2018 08:17 AM

Thanks, guys, for your help and suggestions.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website