Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2018, 04:08 PM   #1

Garage
Torque Gurus...Help Me Interpret Manuals...Front Suspension

Ok guys,

Doing major suspension refresh at this point. What I've changed out:

Front Crossmember/Sidemember/Subframe
Outer Tie Rod Ends
Front Struts
Sway bar Bushings
Sway Bar Drop Links
Control Arm/Track Arm/Diagonal Arm (I've seen so many names...not the lower coffin/control arm...the diagonal one)

I'm now getting ready for it all to go back together. I want this thing torqued right because incorrect torque readings are what have caused some of this mess to start with.

I bought a Bentley manual, and fantastically, there are no torque numbers for the subframe. (70 dollars...who needs that right?)

Finally found an ok version of the shop manuals, but they look a bit outdated...the biggest problem I have is porsche terms for things that are different even than in their catalog. So help me out with a couple of torques on some bolts I do NOT want to get wrong...

First: Crossmember bolts. There are two bolts each on the left and right towards the rear of the H. Shop manual shows Crossmember/side member to body 118 ft lb front and rear. Are these the bolts they are talking about? Mine has two rear connections to the body, unlike the 2001 and older that only has the one rear hole. The 02-04 had a different subframe and it has two bolt holes to the rear. Like you see here. (F and arrow denotes toward front of car and R with arrow denotes rear. This is a top down view.)

Second: Service manual shows a corner brace to body at 74 ft lbs and also a corner brace to body (with diagonal arm and sidemember) at 118 ft lbs. The katalog lists nothing called a corner brace. Is the corner brace the boomerang bracket? Porsche calls this a plate in the catalog. Is the front bolt to the body on this bracket the one they are saying needs 74 or 118? And if so, does it need 74 or 118? It does not go through a portion of the subframe, only through the bracket hole at the front into the body.

Third: Diagonal arm to body through the corner brace/boomerang/plate. I am confident on torque at the coffin arm in 118. I'm not confident on into the body. Bentley manual isnt super clear, but shows 88 ft lb I think, along with connection front coffin arm to crossmember. Any clarification is welcome.

I think that's it. I'm really probably overthinking this, but I really need that piece of mind that yes the torque is this on the bolts I've asked for before I start wrenching and screw up (more) threads. Thanks in advance.

jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:05 PM   #2

Garage
I think I've answered a few of my own questions. I still welcome opinions, but I'm pretty sure answer to number 1 is 118 for both rear bolts. I'm pretty sure corner brace is the plate in question and body bolt in the very front is 74 ft lb.

My remaining question is on the large bolt into the body through the cross member through the diagonal arm. Can anyone confirm 88 ft lb?
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:29 PM   #3

Garage
I think the link below has all you're looking for. Page down to Brad Roberts post. This is what I used for mine.

https://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/21534-help-with-sway-bar-instal/

Last edited by 911monty; 08-28-2018 at 07:35 PM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote