986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Oil level (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/73134-oil-level.html)

gabedrummin 08-27-2018 01:22 PM

Oil level

How long do I need to wait to check my oil after car has been running?

BYprodriver 08-27-2018 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabedrummin (Post 578230)

Most accurate oil level is achieved by driving car till it reaches 180 degrees+, driving home at less than 2700 rpm the last half mile, park on a level surface, allow engine to idle for a couple minutes before shutting off. Check oil after an hour.

gabedrummin 08-27-2018 03:04 PM

Thank you sir.

Racer Boy 08-27-2018 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYprodriver (Post 578234)
Most accurate oil level is achieved by driving car till it reaches 180 degrees+, driving home at less than 2700 rpm the last half mile, park on a level surface, allow engine to idle for a couple minutes before shutting off. Check oil after an hour.

Wow! Leave it to a German company to make it so complicated. :)

I just check it after it sits overnight, but that probably doesn't answer the OP's question.

BYprodriver 08-27-2018 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racer Boy (Post 578237)
Wow! Leave it to a German company to make it so complicated. :)

I just check it after it sits overnight, but that probably doesn't answer the OP's question.

If you drive at higher rpms all the way to your "pit stop" more oil is left in the heads before the scavenge pumps can send it back to the sump.

kk2002s 08-28-2018 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYprodriver (Post 578248)
If you drive at higher rpms all the way to your "pit stop" more oil is left in the heads before the scavenge pumps can send it back to the sump.

How much oil do you think may be unaccounted for?
Problem here is if it significant, like 1/2 quart, then the dip stick will show low and oil will be added resulting in to much oil in the system.

This seems like it would be good practice when changing oil to get as much in the sump as possible for draining.

I check before I drive after car has been sitting all night. I also try and keep it a bit under the full mark and 1 dash under the full mark on the gauge

Flavor 987S 08-28-2018 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabedrummin (Post 578230)

Depends. What year Boxster?

Burg Boxster 08-28-2018 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYprodriver (Post 578234)

All depends on MY...

The newest P-cars require motor to be running at operating temp, on idle and a relatively level surface. Once those conditions are met the measurement occurs over two minutes.

Specific directions per MY will be in each car's manual.

Good luck :)

Flavor 987S 08-28-2018 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burg Boxster (Post 578266)
The newest P-cars require motor to be running at operating temp, on idle and a relatively level surface. Once those conditions are met the measurement occurs over two minutes.

Not true.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burg Boxster (Post 578266)
All depends on MY...

Specific directions per MY will be in each car's manual.

This true.

Burg Boxster 08-28-2018 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flavor 987S (Post 578268)
Not true.

NOT not true ;)

SOME definitely DO require: motor be running at operating temp, on idle and a relatively level surface. Once conditions are met the measurement occurs over two minutes. Specifically I know this applies to 2018+ GT3 and honestly it's kinda PITA process...

While others:

Quote:

Page 166 | 2017-2018 911 Carrera Manual | Porsche iManuals
Displaying the oil level

Information
Under certain circumstances it is not possible to display the oil level. The reasons for this include:

Engine is cold
Vehicle has been stopped after full-load operation at high engine speeds
Engine oil temperature is too high
A message about this appears on the multifunction display.

Vehicle is level.
The engine is at operating temperature and has been stopped for at least one minute.
And from the 2016 GT4 ... - manual page 82
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1535470013.jpg

Bottom line again being, specific directions per model and MY will be in the manual. Personally though, I'm analog and prefer an old fashion dipstick.

Good luck :)

rexcramer 08-28-2018 10:11 AM

+1 BB, our 2009 S requires the motor running and up to temp to check the oil. It doesn't have a dip stick to check it manually.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burg Boxster (Post 578273)
NOT not true ;)

robdelorenzo 08-28-2018 10:19 AM

Now I am confused.
I have an 02 Base with a dipstick.
I have been told to check it while hot and while cold.
Which is it?
And am I correct in that it should be at the top of the "bar" on the dipstick?
The electronic level indicator is all over the place with different readings under different conditions (car sitting cold all night, engine warm, after filling up, etc.)
I have yet to figure out what is the proper and most accurate way to check the level.
I tried "Pro drivers" method last night, which was an entirely new way to check the oil level.
Any further input is welcome.

Anker 08-28-2018 06:24 PM

Read your owner's manual. It will tell you exactly how and when to check the oil level!

10/10ths 08-28-2018 06:55 PM

Check the oil cold after sitting overnight.

robdelorenzo 08-29-2018 03:35 PM

Believe it or not, I read the instruction manual and all it says is, "Check the oil level with the electronic gauge after a fill up"
I kid you not.

Geof3 08-29-2018 10:27 PM

I’ve checked mine both hot and cold, pretty much the same. I watch my dash gauge on initial startup, and monitor subsequent hot start ups for any changes. I also allow my car to go through the entire “bells and whistles” prestart checks before I start it. Makes me think it’s running diagnostics for full engine startup... silly, but fun anyway.

10/10ths 08-30-2018 03:15 AM

It’s simple. It’s a flat engine. It takes a full day for all the oil to make its way down to the sump. Let her sit overnight and check the dipstick. As long as oil is on the dipstick and she is not over full, you are fine. These engines tolerate lower oil levels better than over full oil levels. Too much oil can damage the AOS and cause other bad things to happen. As long as the tip of the dipstick is wet, you have enough oil to prevent engine damage. The shape of the pan creates a lot of leeway for level. On the digital gauge, as long as you have one notch clear at the top, and at least one notch of oil on the bottom, you are fine. The biggest mistake people make is checking the oil before all of it has drained back down and then over filling the sump.

robdelorenzo 08-30-2018 06:18 AM

Thank you 10/10ths.
I have made that mistake a few times in the past, putting oil in when it's not needed.
Sometimes this forum becomes like using "DR. GOOGLE" and it turns me into a "Porschechondriac" (if there is such a term)
This is my first P Car and I am still learning a lot about what is "normal" for these cars.
A lot of the process is unlearning what I thought I already "knew" since these things are a special breed of animal.

BYprodriver 08-30-2018 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kk2002s (Post 578262)
How much oil do you think may be unaccounted for?
Problem here is if it significant, like 1/2 quart, then the dip stick will show low and oil will be added resulting in to much oil in the system.

This seems like it would be good practice when changing oil to get as much in the sump as possible for draining.

I check before I drive after car has been sitting all night. I also try and keep it a bit under the full mark and 1 dash under the full mark on the gauge

I would say 1/4-1/2 qt depending on several factors, oil viscosity,age,temp,rpm's right before shutdown etc.

I recently replaced my clutch, flywheel, & oil. The oil drained/dripped for about 2 months.

Gilles 08-30-2018 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYprodriver (Post 578396)
I recently replaced my clutch, flywheel, & oil. The oil drained/dripped for about 2 months.

Can you imagine the 'labor charges' on the repair bill if every shop waited this long for an oil change..? :p