986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   brake light inoperable (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/73124-brake-light-inoperable.html)

golfer Guy 08-26-2018 06:22 PM

brake light inoperable

They left brake light is out on my Boxster. The right one works. I have looked at the bulbs and all of them look good. Replaced the single element bulb with new but that did not do the trick. I believe the three bulbs with double elements in them are the tail lights. Since the right brake light works I don't think it is a brake light component that is out. What do you think the problem could be and where should the search begin?

Thanks

2008 Boxster S

particlewave 08-26-2018 07:09 PM

First of all, there are no "double element" bulbs in the tail lights. They are all single filament.

Make sure none of the bulb traces have popped out of the tray assembly. That's a common issue.

911monty 08-26-2018 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 578190)
First of all, there are no "double element" bulbs in the tail lights. They are all single filament.

Make sure none of the bulb traces have popped out of the tray assembly. That's a common issue.

Since he has a 2008 could be.

particlewave 08-26-2018 07:59 PM

Ah, I missed that. I assumed the question posted on the 986 forum was about a 986. :D

redciv1 08-27-2018 04:14 AM

Well that helps me as I am having the same issue with my 99 on the left side. replaced bulb and noticed that it almost feels like short in wiring as I can push on the back of the board and light comes on but then this morning driving to work noticed bulb not lit when applying brakes. Will check board, thanks.

911monty 08-27-2018 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfer Guy (Post 578184)
They left brake light is out on my Boxster. The right one works. I have looked at the bulbs and all of them look good. Replaced the single element bulb with new but that did not do the trick. I believe the three bulbs with double elements in them are the tail lights. Since the right brake light works I don't think it is a brake light component that is out. What do you think the problem could be and where should the search begin?

Thanks

2008 Boxster S

Retrace your steps. Typically double filament bulbs are combination brake and tail lights.

golfer Guy 08-27-2018 06:36 AM

Thanks for the help everyone.

I must have signed up for the wrong forum. I guess my wife's 08 Boxster S is a 987. I'm not the driver of this car she is.

Five bulbs in the tail light assembly, 3 double filament, 1 single filament yellow, and 1 single filament clear. I assumed the 1 single filament bulb is the brake light. Perhaps not. I will open the right side assembly which works and see which bulb for sure is the brake light.

rexcramer 08-27-2018 07:23 AM

Planet 9 is where you get answers for 987's. Not as robust as 986forum, but a good resource non the less. You will need to register to gain access.

https://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-and-boxster-chat/

911monty 08-27-2018 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfer Guy (Post 578202)
Thanks for the help everyone.

I must have signed up for the wrong forum. I guess my wife's 08 Boxster S is a 987. I'm not the driver of this car she is.

Five bulbs in the tail light assembly, 3 double filament, 1 single filament yellow, and 1 single filament clear. I assumed the 1 single filament bulb is the brake light. Perhaps not. I will open the right side assembly which works and see which bulb for sure is the brake light.

Yellow should be turn, single filament clear reverse and the double filament should be stop and tail.

Boatin 08-27-2018 06:04 PM

Is it the brake light or tail light ? If it is tail light, lower small bulb in the middle ,
Check your fuses. In a 986 Row A numbers 3 & 4.

mikefocke 08-28-2018 10:41 AM

Not the single fog light? Only on one side typically. (yea I know you said brake but often confuses people and since it is your wife's car you may not be familiar...)