986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   New Top Help (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/73111-new-top-help.html)

gman1113 08-25-2018 09:20 AM

New Top Help

Plastic rear window finally cracked. Looking for best replacement top with rear glass window. Thanks

dlud 08-25-2018 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gman1113 (Post 578103)
Plastic rear window finally cracked. Looking for best replacement top with rear glass window. Thanks

Sierra top imho. I've installed 2 in the last 8 months. Great product. Autotopsdirect.

dghii 08-25-2018 05:02 PM

+1. Did the same on my car a few years ago. Install went great and the product was top notch. It made it look like I knew what I was doing....can't think of a higher praise.

MrBen 08-25-2018 07:00 PM

I had a Sierra installed a couple months ago with the glass window. It's a good product and the smaller window makes the car look much better imo

2ata 08-26-2018 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBen (Post 578135)
I had a Sierra installed a couple months ago with the glass window. It's a good product and the smaller window makes the car look much better imo

Where did you get yours done at?

It looks like we are in the same part of the state.

blueflames 08-27-2018 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlud (Post 578117)
Sierra top imho. I've installed 2 in the last 8 months. Great product. Autotopsdirect.

I installed a Sierra from autotopdirect. Went with the plastic window. i dont like the smaller glass window look and glass make service access to the engine more difficult on the pre 03 models.

Brian in Tucson 08-29-2018 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueflames (Post 578245)
I installed a Sierra from autotopdirect. Went with the plastic window. i dont like the smaller glass window look and glass make service access to the engine more difficult on the pre 03 models.

I went with an 04 top with the glass rear window. Paid a grand, it was a complete top and included everything so it was plug and play. blueflames is right, it does restrict access to the top of the engine, the glass hits the rollbar. (Tempting to remove the roll bar.)

I had considered going with a new top with a vinyl window and would have had a boat upholstery shop sew in a zipper to the window would be removable.

I've never been close to an 03 or later Boxster. I wonder what they did about access to the engine lid?

dlud 08-29-2018 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson (Post 578339)
I went with an 04 top with the glass rear window. Paid a grand, it was a complete top and included everything so it was plug and play. blueflames is right, it does restrict access to the top of the engine, the glass hits the rollbar. (Tempting to remove the roll bar.)

I had considered going with a new top with a vinyl window and would have had a boat upholstery shop sew in a zipper to the window would be removable.

I've never been close to an 03 or later Boxster. I wonder what they did about access to the engine lid?

Access is not a big problem. Anything I would do to the engine that would be significant from the topside I would simply remove the six bolts holding the top in and the two holding the arms and remove the entire top. A five minute job. The access with the plastic rear window is not that great to begin with. The slight access reduction with the glass window is outweighed, in my opinion, by the lack of clarity, the need to get out and do "the chop" and the maintenance issues with the plastic rear window. I've had both and my vote is strongly in favor of the glass window. Again, just my opinion.