Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2018, 02:29 PM   #1

Roof Issue

My Boxster has an aftermarket replacement top installed by the PO. As you can see it doesn't close properly. I have zero experience with convertible tops. Any ideas on what I can do about this? Thanks

'11 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - winter daily driver
'92 F250 - junk hauler; previous Porsches '95 993;'08 Cayman S;'70 911E
356Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:10 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I've had that problem on one of my cars for a while and just haven't got around to fixing it yet. There is a loop of fabric loop that guides the edge of the top into a track. You are probably missing that loop of fabric. For now, I am stopping the roof when it is about one foot short of being closed and reaching over to pull the edge of the top into the track before closing it all the way (This particular car usually has the hard top on). It's a common problem mentioned in a couple threads over the years like this:
Convertible Top Problem.

Here's some good detail and how to fix it from Mike Focke's Boxster pages:
https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/convertibletopedgedoesnotfallintoguidech

Last edited by 78F350; 08-26-2018 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Corrected - roof should be about 1 foot from closed, not 2
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:26 PM   #3

Thank-you! I couldn't have asked for a better answer.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:37 PM   #4

Here's another thread on the topic.

987 Boxster convertible top sides not tucked in
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I've had that problem on one of my cars for a while and just haven't got around to fixing it yet. There is a loop of fabric loop that guides the edge of the top into a track. You are probably missing that loop of fabric. For now, I am stopping the roof when it is about two feet short of being closed and reaching over to pull the edge of the top into the track before closing it all the way (This particular car usually has the hard top on). It's a common problem mentioned in a couple threads over the years like this:
Convertible Top Problem.

Here's some good detail and how to fix it from Mike Focke's Boxster pages:
https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/convertibletopedgedoesnotfallintoguidech
+1 on the stopping short. I replaced my top a few years ago with a glass windowed top. All went well on the job but by sides fall outside the rail as well. My problem is that the fabric loop was broken so no good way to pull the cables back in.

I lived with it. It was always on my mind to try to resolve but I never came up with a good solution. I was always sure to pull cables in manually so nothing got stretched.
I've sold the car and my 'new to me. 996 cab with replacement top closes properly.

Still not sure how I'd fix this issue. It was easier to just live with it
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:08 PM   #6

If you are lucky enough to still have the loop attached, you may need to gather it up a bit and sew it. They tend to loose their elasticity over the years. It needs to be loosely sliding on the bracket but tight enough to pull the sides inward when raising the roof.
Lapister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 10:14 PM   #7

Mine does that, and I bought the loops and did all the adjustments to replace and still does it. I stop mine as well and simply reach through the passenger window and line it up. No big deal really. I still have the vinyl window as well, so I get to karate chop too. Convertibles are fun.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:30 PM   #8

It seems that the velcro loop around the bar is not the issue but that flexible strap is too loose. Its the one that goes from the edge of the roof and I believe is clamped at the other end. I need to figure out a way of bunching it up and clamping it. Perhaps a few stitches with some heavy thread. I'll read through the articles a bit more and see if that is covered.