Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2018, 03:54 PM   #1

Conv Top Repair

My 03 Boxster conv top has worked flawlessly since I bought the car (3 yr ago). It has 114k miles with a dealer installed new motor at 74k. Several days ago I tried to lower the top, it lowered, but top lite did not go out. Immediately raised the top, it raised, but then would not lower, and the top lite would not go out. Taking it to the Dealer today, they said the driver transmission was bad. They wanted to replace both transmissions and install new cables. Quote for labor and parts was, $2800. I was shocked at this quoted price and need to know possible alternatives. I did see that Pelican offers a replacement gear to rebuild the trannys. My question is, can these units be rebuilt by installing a new plastic gear, will it provide similar service to a new tranny? How difficult is it to remove/install replacement trannys, should the cables also be replaced? Your comments please!

Ken Morgan
03 Boxster, seal gray/gray interior
Prev Porsche, 914, 2.0

Ken Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:31 PM   #2

Oh goodness...
Do not go to the dealer for this, even if you don't want to repair it yourself. First, buy some time by looking in your owners manual (or this forum) for how to disconnected the top mechanism and use your top manually.

The top system consists of microswitches, one electric motor, two cables and two transmissions. The rest mechanical arms (driven by the transmissions).

Go on ebay...used top transmissions are in the low hundreds.
new drive cables are ~$25 each
a used motor is under $100.

You can get this going again for a fraction of the quote from the dealer.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:39 AM   #3

Garage
There is well documented information on the top linked in Mike Focke’s pages - I think it was created by another member of this board.
Old 08-25-2018, 01:17 AM   #4

Beware, the transmissions are different on the pre-2000 Boxsters. There are a few complete sets on eBay at reasonable prices. e.g. from a 2004: https://www.ebay.com/itm/04-12-PORSCHE-BOXSTER-CONVERTIBLE-TOP-MOTOR-04-12-PORSCHE-BOXSTER-CONVER/263359571715?hash=item3d51742703:g:GlUAAOSwzXxaItT 7

Note: I have nothing to do with this seller or sale, just that I saw this advertised...

Last edited by Oggie; 08-25-2018 at 01:51 AM.
Oggie is offline   Reply With Quote