Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2018, 04:22 PM   #1

Battery question

I somehow left 2000 986 in on position for over a week. Not running. Battery is totally dead. Anything I need to know before I start? Currently charging. Thanks.

DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:06 PM   #2

Radio code if a Becker 220. May need to reprogram the windows. Run them up and down for a few cycles. Battery will be damaged by total discharge, how much is unknown. Test voltage after a run. Get load tested before winter. Be cautious for a while.

Good that you are charging so you must know how to access the front trunk. Don't try to charge through the lighter socket and especially don't try to start connected that way.

More batteries info here. Battery model numbers and pricing are surely out of date but the important thing to take away is a Boxster's battery is just a battery, nothing special. And good brand will do. You can swap it yourself. There are two sizes, one for the manual trans and a bigger one for the TIP trans for the MY 2001 cars. Since you are in MA, might want to get the bigger one.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:46 PM   #3

Thanks, battery was left on for over a week. The trickle charger wouldn't recognize the battery until I charged with another car for a few minutes. Seems to be charging now, well at least green charging light is on.
I guess we will see in the morning. Bummed, after being away for a week and also going to Colorado Springs porsche while away, I was really looking forward to driving tomorrow to work. We will see.
Thanks Mike for the info.

DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote