Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2018, 02:36 AM   #1

Looking for replacement engine

My big end has failed, details will follow when I have them from the mechanic, not IMS related. It is going to be much more feasible to find replacement engine and reuse all the bolt on bits (exhaust, intake, engine mounts, aircon etc etc) from the quotes I got for a rebuild.

2000 year model, 986 3.2l S

Where is the best place to look for a basic sealed engine without all the accessories? I would need it shipped to South Africa.

any advise welcome.

thanks in advance!

de-snorkeled, clear lights, sports exhaust, zeintec hard top, zein wing, B&M short shifter, DesignTek lowering springs, DesignTek carbon fibre strut brace front and rear, 18'' carerra 5 spokes, semi slick tyres, entire soft top delete, engine cover delete,red console,L&N deep sump, volo performance chip, raptor shift light, de-cat'ed, OEM GT3 bucket seats.
sickbananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:40 AM   #2

I just shipped a steering wheel to South Africa and it sat in your customs for a month and was super expensive to ship. I couldn't imagine how expensive it's going to be to ship a motor. Good luck there! I think something like a motor might be better found locally. Australia has a decent size Porsche community. You might have luck searching over there
Old 08-22-2018, 05:34 AM   #3

It makes me shudder to even think about what the shipping, currency exchange, and import duties would be on this. Probably it would have to be put in a mixed/less than load container and have to go by ship. Or Fedex might be able to handle it. You might be better off to get a factory remanufactured engine from Porsche if they're still available. Or have your engine repaired. What's a big end failure?

Just remember, you need an engine from model years 2000 to 2003. Probably your first effort should be to look for an engine in S. Africa--you're going to have to really "beat the bush" so to speak. Sorry I couldn't resist. Next, I would think the UK or Europe.

Sorry, it's the hazards of having a fairly rare car so far off the beaten track.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:00 AM   #4

consolidated ocean container

Several years ago I bought a Uno Turbo engine (Fiat) in New Zealand and ship it to the Port of Los Angeles inside a consolidated container for about $450.

I was able to clear it with US Customs by myself, and didn't have to pay any import duties, as the declared value less than $1k (I paid about $1,500) ), as a proof of sale US Customs accepted the emails with the seller..., (a Fiat club member).

What I am trying to say, is that it is doable and the cost can be manageable if you do it yourself, perhaps staring by calling your local ocean shipping line or a freight forwarder that coordinates with the shipping line.

Good luck!
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:28 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickbananas View Post
My big end has failed, details will follow when I have them from the mechanic, not IMS related. It is going to be much more feasible to find replacement engine and reuse all the bolt on bits (exhaust, intake, engine mounts, aircon etc etc) from the quotes I got for a rebuild.

2000 year model, 986 3.2l S

Where is the best place to look for a basic sealed engine without all the accessories? I would need it shipped to South Africa.

any advise welcome.

thanks in advance!
I have a 2001 rebuilt engine ready to go with lots of upgrades. I have shipped an engine to Iceland via Fedex. I have a contact in South Africa. Here is a link to the engine ad : 2001 3.6L Boxster engine for sale
Old 08-23-2018, 04:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post

Just remember, you need an engine from model years 2000 to 2003. .
2000-2002. 2003 is a three chain motor
Old 08-24-2018, 09:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
2000-2002. 2003 is a three chain motor
Exactly, otherwise I'd have bought BYprodriver's rebuilt engine for my 2003 S. Instead my shop is rebuilding my 2003 some of the same things his has - 3.2 to 3.6 Nickies conversion, ARP rod bolts. Good luck with your engine search!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 01:24 PM   #8
Santa Barbara, CA

Since you are in Capetown SA there is a moderator to the MBWorld.org forum who lives near Haut Bay. He might be able to help you find a Boxster engine in SA. His name is Glyn M Ruck and he's a wealth of information on MB.

Here's a link to one of his posts. https://mbworld.org/forums/members/86796-glyn-m-ruck.html

I had the good fortune to be in Capetown during world cup in 2010. It's one of the most beautiful places I've seen in the world and the people are very special. I hope it doesn't change!

Best of luck.

Last edited by jvfante; 08-24-2018 at 01:50 PM.
jvfante is offline   Reply With Quote