Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2018, 03:54 PM   #1

Garage
Borla exhaust

Anybody using the Borla exhaust on a 2004 vintage Boxster? How does it compare to Fabspeed? Any drone? How is the sound? Much cheaper than the Fabspeed max flow. Appreciate any informed comments. Thanks.

Blackcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:54 PM   #2
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

I don't have it.....

...but, friends who do report loud, and drone.

YMMV.

BUT, all two piece mufflers on 986 Boxster have a drone at highway speed that will drive you batty.

The reason is because the Porsche engineers designed the factory muffler to be part of the overall powertrain's harmonic balance at speed. That big, single, heavy muffler acts as a tuned part of the entire powertrain and absorbs the vibration and sound harmonics as everything spins and vibrates.

That's why all the aftermarket mufflers that don't exactly copy the mass and shape of the factory muffler drone and will give you a headache on a long highway trip.

THE solution for a real world, every day useable, cross-country driving vacation Boxster 986 is the FVD Brombacher "Sound Version" muffler.

It's expensive, but it is made of a higher grade of stainless steel that keeps its polished finish for life, does not give you a headache on a long trip, and sounds great, with a faint burble and pop on lift throttle that sounds even better, with LESS drone, when paired with secondary cat delete pipes.

Save your money and buy one and enjoy life.

Good luck.

550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:19 PM   #3

Garage
I have it on a 2000 S..I love the sound ..With NPH headers and a circuit works secondary cat delete. Cold air kit .Much louder than stock. Wish it was louder,In a tunnel or under an overpass the car sounds vicious.
gabedrummin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:43 PM   #4

I understand they are louder, but drone. That is from every, user review I have read. The drone does not exactly make them not sound good, just makes them annoying on long drive. I think the fadspeed has a balance pipe to help with the drone.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:13 PM   #5
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

This explains why:

You want one big muffler:

"Porsche Boxster Story" by Paul Frere, page 56.

Last edited by 10/10ths; 05-24-2018 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:35 PM   #6

The Borla was on my 2004 when I bought it. Loved the exhaust note, couldn’t live with the very bad drone. I replaced it with the FVD Brombacher ‘sound version’ and have never looked back.

The Borla is very well constructed using quality materials, but it needs a balance pipe at the least. You can find my posts regarding the Borla and the FVD via the search.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
The Borla was on my 2004 when I bought it. Loved the exhaust note, couldn’t live with the very bad drone. I replaced it with the FVD Brombacher ‘sound version’ and have never looked back.

The Borla is very well constructed using quality materials, but it needs a balance pipe at the least. You can find my posts regarding the Borla and the FVD via the search.
I have a used SpeedArt 'sound version' (same manufacturer as the FVD) that I removed from my 987 CS for sale for $1,000 plus shipping from So.Cal.

Also will be offering as well other goodies like a recently rebuilt set of KW-V3's coilovers, OS Gicken LSD, IPD plenum with the GT3 throttle body and a couple of other thinks that cannot remember right now
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:26 PM   #8

Garage
Couldn’t find any videos on Circuit Werks cat back exhaust so I hope this helps someone.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=el9QfUNsnPc&app=m&persist_app=1

Took me almost 4 hours to install because it got too dark. Could probably do it in 2 hours ish second time around. Enjoy.
512TXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:52 PM   #9

Garage
Any drone?
Blackcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:00 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512TXS View Post
Couldn’t find any videos on Circuit Werks cat back exhaust so I hope this helps someone.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=el9QfUNsnPc&app=m&persist_app=1

Took me almost 4 hours to install because it got too dark. Could probably do it in 2 hours ish second time around. Enjoy.
Looks and sounds like my (former) Beluga-probably the same with different labels. I loved the sound until I drove it. I was embarrassed to drive it in my neighborhood. I found it offensive and the drone was unbearable. I am now desnorkled with the Crios exhaust mod- sound is fantastic. To each his own.

Last edited by pilut2; 06-04-2018 at 05:05 PM.
pilut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:22 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilut2 View Post
Looks and sounds like my (former) Beluga-probably the same with different labels. I loved the sound until I drove it. I was embarrassed to drive it in my neighborhood. I found it offensive and the drone was unbearable. I am now desnorkled with the Crios exhaust mod- sound is fantastic. To each his own.
There is some drone for sure but it doesn’t bother me. I like how throaty it sounds and def better than my stock exhaust and the annoying rattle.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:24 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcloud View Post
Any drone?
Some drone but I like it. My stock one was too soft and I wanted more rumble. For under $300, I think it’s a great buy. You thinking about getting one too?
Old 06-04-2018, 06:35 PM   #13
Who's askin'?

I keep reading and reading.... I'm not sure I define drone the same as many of you?

To me, drone occurs when a specific audible frequency creates a resonance that amplifies the sound. It's not simply an exhaust you can hear at freeway speeds. That's why so many report an improvement with different clamps (or even different torque on the clamps); because they've changed the resonance frequency.

I have a "cheap" beluga exhaust, with the circuit werks secondary pipes. And I have no drone. Zero. My wife and I spent about 6 hours straight in the car 2 weeks ago, and I even asked her to pay attention for it: no drone.

I DO however, have a rattle that's just developed inside one of the mufflers... from something coming unwelded, or riveted, or whatever cheap method they use. It's got a 1 yr warranty, but I don't want to be without the car for however long it takes them to decide whether to repair or replace..... haven't made up my mind shady I'm gonna do yet....

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Last edited by maytag; 06-04-2018 at 06:51 PM.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:52 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
I keep reading and reading.... I'm not sure many of you know what "drone" really is.... or I don't. ?
To me, drone occurs when a specific audible frequency creates a resonance that amplifies the sound. It's not simply an exhaust you can hear at freeway speeds. That's why so many report an improvement with different clamps (or even different torque on the clamps); because they've changed the resonance frequency.

I have a "cheap" beluga exhaust, with the circuit werks secondary pipes. And I have no drone. Zero. My wife and I spent about 6 hours straight in the car 2 weeks ago, and I even asked her to pay attention for it: no drone.

I DO however, have a rattle that's just developed inside one of the mufflers... from something coming unwelded, or riveted, or whatever cheap method they use. It's got a 1 yr warranty, but I don't want to be without the car for however long it takes them to decide whether to repair or replace..... haven't made up my mind shady I'm gonna do yet....

Maybe I don’t know what “drone” is then. I describe it as the humming noise my exhaust makes in the lower rpms. High rpms always sound great from most exhaust systems... it’s the lower rpms that create annoying drone for some. I like the exhaust regardless.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:55 PM   #15
Who's askin'?

I edited my comment, but you quoted it first, dangit! Sorry.... I didn't mean to sound rude about it. Haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512TXS View Post
Maybe I don’t know what “drone” is then. I describe it as the humming noise my exhaust makes in the lower rpms. High rpms always sound great from most exhaust systems... it’s the lower rpms that create annoying drone for some. I like the exhaust regardless.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:16 AM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
I edited my comment, but you quoted it first, dangit! Sorry.... I didn't mean to sound rude about it. Haha.

All good. No apology needed. Have a good one.
512TXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 03:00 PM   #17

Garage
Install Headers and Secondaries, drone problem solved!

Borla sounds OK. I've compared it to a cheap Beluga (ebay $200 50mm exhaust) and I'd rather have the Beluga. Borla looks kinda cool out the back but it's not aggressive sounding. enough.

For those confussled... You know what it's it's like when you can hear yourself talk, breath, grind your teeth, deep inside your inner ear so much that it annoys the **************** out of you? Imagine the exhaust note echoing through your cabin like that around 3500 to 4500 Rpm.

Incomplete exhaust systems (muffler only) causes the exhaust note to be surpressed in certain ways but overly annoying in others. While when you have a full flowing exhaust, the exhaust note is less inside the cabin and more out the back where it should be. Basically the same concept as bass reflex in car audio systems.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 03:08 PM   #18
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

While that all sounds well and good......

....the fact of the matter is that Porsche designed the engine, transmission, and entire exhaust system as a unit, and that entire unit was placed on a "shake table" and the harmonic balance of that entire unit was matched to the rest of the car and acted as a tuned balancing system.

That's why the muffler is attached the way it is with that big cross beam.

That is why any two muffler setup will sound horrible inside the car.

This FACT is well documented in the Porsche history book "Excellence Was Expected."

The whole dang powertrain is matched to offset the chassis harmonics and null them out.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:00 PM   #19
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
....the fact of the matter is that Porsche designed the engine, transmission, and entire exhaust system as a unit, and that entire unit was placed on a "shake table" and the harmonic balance of that entire unit was matched to the rest of the car and acted as a tuned balancing .....
Yeah, sure it was. Haha!
Sorry pal, I don't believe it for a second. Not on a $50,000 car. No way.
It being written up in a book (a quick Google about the book suggests that the Boxster was not part of the vehicles covered, but I have not confirmed this.) doesn't make it true.

For instance:
https://goo.gl/images/G4etjK

And you throw down subjective things, like what sounds good, as if it's fact. I get it, I do the same thing! Haha
but, you have to realize, that what sounds good inside a car, is subjective. It is not something that the Porsche engineers have the final say on.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:23 PM   #20
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

I agree....

....that what sounds good to one person, is noise to another.

If you like it loud, that's absolutely fine. to each his own.

My point with my posting was in response to folks who have posted a lot of questions on this forum about different mufflers and if they have a drone inside while traveling down the highway.

EVERY two piece muffler installed on a 986 will have this drone.

And the reason why, is what I described. THAT is a FACT.

Now, that doesn't mean that a Borla or a Fabspeed or some other two muffler design is not right for YOU, or for many others.

I'm just trying to educate the folks who want some more sound outta their 986, but don't want a system that drones down the highway.

So, for those who care, note the dates on the bottom right corner of the book cover.

Enjoy: