Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2018, 09:11 AM   #1

Ebay Depo tail lights

Anyone running these lights? I found a few older posts, but it looks like they may have changed the design so the brake light is a full square now, versus sort of a C shape from the earlier versions.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DEPO-Red-Clear-LED-Tail-Light-Lamp-Pair-For-97-04-Porsche-Boxster-986-Roadster-/173251729517

For under $200, it seems like a cheap way to modernize the rear of the car.

Also, does anyone know of a rear turn signal bulb that appears clear when off, but blinks amber or red? These require colored signal bulbs as the lenses are clear.

ScottAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:22 AM   #2

I put a set of depo tail lights (with a tint on the clear lens portion, not clear as shown on ebay) on my 2001 arctic silver S. I really like them. The original yellow ones made the car look dated, imho. The depos are a nice update and add a subtle touch of individuality. Note the Depo only have LEDs on the brake lights and fog light; the red running lights and yellow turn signal lights are still conventional bulbs.
stantheman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman1 View Post
I put a set of depo tail lights (with a tint on the clear lens portion, not clear as shown on ebay) on my 2001 arctic silver S. I really like them. The original yellow ones made the car look dated, imho. The depos are a nice update and add a subtle touch of individuality. Note the Depo only have LEDs on the brake lights and fog light; the red running lights and yellow turn signal lights are still conventional bulbs.
Cool, thanks. I like the smoked ones too. I was trying to get the closest look to OEM while not spending a grand+.

Did you have any issues with your cruise control not working? I read some posts with that issue after installing the Depo lights.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:32 PM   #4

I have them, can’t imagine why it would possibly effect cruise control!? Unplug, install, replug. I will tell you the fit is ‘ok’. But not the best, they work. Use the stock seal/gasket as well as the one on the lights it helps. Also, be careful not to over tighten them, the mounting bosses WILL break.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
I have them, can’t imagine why it would possibly effect cruise control!? Unplug, install, replug. I will tell you the fit is ‘ok’. But not the best, they work. Use the stock seal/gasket as well as the one on the lights it helps. Also, be careful not to over tighten them, the mounting bosses WILL break.
Cool, thanks. The posts I read mentioned something about the cruise control reading the brakes as activated for some reason. I found at least a couple posts that mentioned it. Hopefully it’s a non-issue.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAZ View Post
Cool, thanks. The posts I read mentioned something about the cruise control reading the brakes as activated for some reason. I found at least a couple posts that mentioned it. Hopefully it’s a non-issue.
Weird, some sort of user error I would guess. The stock module that controls everything snaps into the DEPO light, so all that is really changing is the bulbs. At least that is how mine are. Perhaps newer ones are different?
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:21 PM   #7
Custom User Title Here

Garage
It's because of the brake light resistance change going from filament bulbs to LEDs.
It is an issue that comes up from time to time, though most don't experience it. It is easily remedied with load resistors if you do encounter it.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:36 PM   #8

My S had a pair of the Depo rear lights fitted when I got it and although they worked fine the fit wasn’t that great to be honest, I.e compared to the oem ones they didn’t run flush to the body work and there was a bit of a lip/ step up. Look at my photo below at the left hand Depo light vs oem at the top you can see the lip clearly. Still good lights but glad I have gone back to oem albeit slightly modified ones to give me the red rear light modern look.

Saxosim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:29 AM   #9
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I agree. Neither the Depo or Dectane lights fit well and they look a bit cheap.
I'm currently running the Dectane lights because I like the all red look, but hope to either paint or wrap my OEM lights for an all red or tinted OEM set someday.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 05:12 AM   #10
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxosim View Post
My S had a pair of the Depo rear lights fitted when I got it and although they worked fine the fit wasn’t that great to be honest, I.e compared to the oem ones they didn’t run flush to the body work and there was a bit of a lip/ step up. Look at my photo below at the left hand Depo light vs oem at the top you can see the lip clearly. Still good lights but glad I have gone back to oem albeit slightly modified ones to give me the red rear light modern look.

That's all I needed to see, thank you. I'm out. No Depo for me.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxosim View Post

How did you de-amber your OEMs? Wrap?
Old 07-31-2018, 07:08 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
That's all I needed to see, thank you. I'm out. No Depo for me.
I wasn’t too happy with the fit either until I noticed that the foam gasket supplied with the Depo lights was thinner than the OEM. After swapping the gaskets and reinstalling the lights the fit was much better.
pilut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:24 AM   #13
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilut2 View Post
I wasn’t too happy with the fit either until I noticed that the foam gasket supplied with the Depo lights was thinner than the OEM. After swapping the gaskets and reinstalling the lights the fit was much better.
Pic......?
Old 07-31-2018, 07:24 AM   #14

Garage

I think they look great. I have had them for 3 years- no issue with cruise control.

Last edited by pilut2; 07-31-2018 at 07:28 AM.
pilut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:29 AM   #15
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Just buy a pair of used OEM red and white ones. Woody might have a set. OEM headlights and tail lights are so much nicer then the aftermarket ones.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
Just buy a pair of used OEM red and white ones. Woody might have a set. OEM headlights and tail lights are so much nicer then the aftermarket ones.
I looked but they were either way more expensive, or within $100 of the Depos but scuffed up. I like the look of the Depos and don't think they scream aftermarket, except maybe to those in the know...assuming the fit is good. I'll know when I get them on Thursday!
Old 07-31-2018, 11:43 AM   #17
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAZ View Post
I looked but they were either way more expensive, or within $100 of the Depos but scuffed up. I like the look of the Depos and don't think they scream aftermarket, except maybe to those in the know...assuming the fit is good. I'll know when I get them on Thursday!
Yeah I agree the tail lights don't look too bad. As long as they fit well I think you will be happy. Whatever you do DON'T get the aftermarket headlights. A friend of mine has them........JUNK.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:39 AM   #18

I just installed all the lights. Fit and quality could always be a little better... but overall I’m really happy with the updated look.

I tested my cruise control this morning and it didn't work... However I can't say it’s because of the tail lights. The cruise control has only worked a couple times since I bought the car. (little over a month) I also had a leak in the drip tray that lead me to dismantling the entire interior to get the carpets outs, so it could be my own fault for it not working.

Cjamerson1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:07 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjamerson1212 View Post
I just installed all the lights. Fit and quality could always be a little better... but overall I’m really happy with the updated look.

I tested my cruise control this morning and it didn't work... However I can't say it’s because of the tail lights. The cruise control has only worked a couple times since I bought the car. (little over a month) I also had a leak in the drip tray that lead me to dismantling the entire interior to get the carpets outs, so it could be my own fault for it not working.

They look great! A little concerning regarding the cruise control, but like you said, it may not be from the lights (I hope not!). What headlights are those?
Old 08-02-2018, 02:30 PM   #20

Garage
How does your cruise control not work? It may be as simple as the brake or clutch switches being bad or not engaging because of a broken clutch assist spring. If you reach down and up at the clutch pedal you will find a read and black switch that is pushed in when the clutch is released. You can pull the plunger out and then see if it works. You can also try to lift the clutch pedal with your foot while engaging the cruise control. Tell me more and I may be able to help you.

2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote