986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Check out my new 986! And several questions... (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/72853-check-out-my-new-986-several-questions.html)

ScottAZ 07-24-2018 06:59 AM

Check out my new 986! And several questions...

Hi all,

I picked up this sweet 02 S last night. I'm about to drop it off for its "peace of mind" service. It's time for the clutch, so I'm doing the IMS retrofit as well. The RMS will be changed and I'm also being charged for cam bolts(?) and a flywheel bolt. They are telling me that unless the car is blowing out smoke that the AOS doesn't need to be replaced and the flywheel SHOULD be fine. Am I missing anything else that I should address now while it's opened up? The car has 75k miles.

Thanks!

https://s8.postimg.cc/hklnlnbsl/3774...67547136_o.jpg

JFP in PA 07-24-2018 07:19 AM

Replace the AOS. With the gear box out, it is a 5 min. job; with it in the time frame changes to hours...………..

ScottAZ 07-24-2018 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 575890)
Replace the AOS. With the gear box out, it is a 5 min. job; with it in the time frame changes to hours...………..

That's what I was thinking. Thanks!

A8ked 07-24-2018 07:36 AM

You might also want to look at the coolant tank. At 16 years of age, if it has not already been changed it may be time.

kk2002s 07-24-2018 08:01 AM

How much money do you have to spend?
The list is directly proportional to the size of your wallet, line of credit, credit card balance or home equity loan.

You could just drive it. Oh No I didn't just say that did I?

Sorry, Congrats and pretty car

tonythetiger 07-24-2018 09:46 AM

Yes, beautiful car.
AOS replacement is easy and part is cheap. I would be prepared with transmission and engine mounts as well, but only if you confirm they are worn or bad. You can buy the 993 part and bolt it to the bracket to save money and replace just the bushing on the engine mount.
Ive heard the flywheel and pressure plate bolts should be replaced, and it helps to read what your mechanic is about to go through...check it out here:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/44-TRANS-Clutch/44-TRANS-Clutch.htm

Have you decided on which IMS fix you are going to use? Just curious since I am preparing to replace these on a couple of 986s and would like to hear the debate from you and others...

steved0x 07-24-2018 09:56 AM

Nice wheels! My favorite 18" Porsche wheel.

ScottAZ 07-24-2018 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonythetiger (Post 575905)
Yes, beautiful car.
AOS replacement is easy and part is cheap. I would be prepared with transmission and engine mounts as well, but only if you confirm they are worn or bad. You can buy the 993 part and bolt it to the bracket to save money and replace just the bushing on the engine mount.
Ive heard the flywheel and pressure plate bolts should be replaced, and it helps to read what your mechanic is about to go through...check it out here:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/44-TRANS-Clutch/44-TRANS-Clutch.htm

Have you decided on which IMS fix you are going to use? Just curious since I am preparing to replace these on a couple of 986s and would like to hear the debate from you and others...

Thank you. I'm going with LN's for the simple reason that the shop that I trust has done over 200 of them (according to them) and know the process, have the tools, etc.

AOS will definitely get done, thanks for the advice.

I'll see what they say about the flywheel. $800 is a lot on top of what this is already costing, but of course I'd rather it get done while it's already torn apart.

Cunningr 07-24-2018 10:48 AM

Disclaimer this a personal opinion: I think you should go ahead and change fly wheel as well with the clutch. Why well you are already inside doing everything else so only adfitional cost is for the flywheel, when finished you know all those pieces are fresh.

MWS 07-24-2018 12:41 PM

First...beautiful car with nice color combination and it would appear (at least from the pic provided) that it's pretty much stock; nice to know that any PO hasn't been mucking around too much ;) . Second...you are WAY above the curve on asking about maintenance; I've read many posts that read something like "so I bought this car, is there anything I should do?" or "I bought this thing, what's an IMS?" or "where's the engine?" ;). Looks like you've done some research, know what to expect and how to prioritize. Huge kudos.

Oh, and welcome to the madness. :)

ScottAZ 07-24-2018 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MWS (Post 575917)
First...beautiful car with nice color combination and it would appear (at least from the pic provided) that it's pretty much stock; nice to know that any PO hasn't been mucking around too much ;) . Second...you are WAY above the curve on asking about maintenance; I've read many posts that read something like "so I bought this car, is there anything I should do?" or "I bought this thing, what's an IMS?" or "where's the engine?" ;). Looks like you've done some research, know what to expect and how to prioritize. Huge kudos.

Oh, and welcome to the madness. :)

Thank you! It's bone stock other than a (crappy) aftermarket head unit and the wheels.

I tend to over-research so I feel pretty good about what's going on. From a mechanical perspective, a lot of it is new, but I dropped her off this morning and am waiting for them to tell me how the flywheel looks, etc.

Thanks again!

ScottAZ 07-24-2018 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonythetiger (Post 575905)
Yes, beautiful car.

I thought I replied but I think the URL made it bounce because of my newbie status.

I will definitely get the AOS done at this time. Good call.

I'm going with LN's IMS retrofit kit (not the more expensive permanent Solution). The shop I'm using claims to have done over 200 retrofits, so they have the tools, knowledge, etc.

MWS 07-24-2018 01:42 PM

Three other quick things: Water pump...if is unknown when changed, it *might* be worth doing as pump failure is not uncommon; I would also agree on coolant tank...if it's heavily yellowed or seems aged, go for it, otherwise it can be put off (at least check what version of coolant cap you have...another notorious point of failure). Lastly, maybe check the spark plug tubes...if they are already poking around the engine (and are going to check plugs), it's a "might as well".

ScottAZ 07-24-2018 06:52 PM

I asked the shop to add in the AOS to the work order and they’re claiming that it will add two hours of labor. There’s no way, right?

BruceH 07-25-2018 03:35 AM

Beautiful car, love Black and Tan :cheers:

Gilles 07-25-2018 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steved0x (Post 575907)
Nice wheels! My favorite 18" Porsche wheel.

+ 1 :-)

These where the original wheels on my 987 and really like them

ScottAZ 07-25-2018 09:28 AM

Thanks again for the kind words and info. I talked to the shop this morning about the AOS and they're saying that by doing it now, it only saves 15 minutes in labor versus doing it on its own. Given that, and since it is dry, they suggest forgoing it. Does any of that make sense? I don't know enough to say one way or another. Thanks!

ScottAZ 07-25-2018 09:29 AM

Thanks again for the kind words and info. I talked to the shop this morning about the AOS and they're saying that by doing it now, it only saves 15 minutes in labor versus doing it on its own. Given that, and since it is dry, they suggest forgoing it. Does any of that make sense? I don't know enough to say one way or another.

lskolnick 07-26-2018 07:17 PM

With the transmission out, it takes maximum 15 minutes to do the AOS.

ScottAZ 07-26-2018 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lskolnick (Post 576102)
With the transmission out, it takes maximum 15 minutes to do the AOS.

Interesting. I wonder why they’re saying otherwise and seemingly encouraging me to wait. I would hope it’s not so they get the larger job of doing it on its own when it fails.