Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2018, 05:48 PM   #1

Engine has'nt started in 8 years

Hello, I'm seeking more advise. I have a 1998 Boxster and switched the key, immobilizer, computer and ignition in the vehicle from a donor Boxster. I put everything in my car and the dash lights turn on, headlights, windows all work. The car after the first accessory switch in ignition works, but I go to start and nothing!!!!! Could it be a fuse, relay or something. It all started when I purchase the original Boxster without a key. Then I bought the donor kit parts. The vehicle sat for 8 years. I'm trying to make sure the engine turn by the crank shaft bolt. I pulled all plugs out and sprayed the inside of the cylinders with oil. Still waiting to see.

mykelamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:05 AM   #2
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
The transponder in the key has to be coded into the brain. Are you sure you bought a complete, matched kit?
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:36 PM   #3

Key

I purchased the five items from a person from Iowa. It was from a 1999 Boxster. Mine is a 1998 and was told on the forum that it should work. All the lights work etc, but wont turn over. Maybe a starter or fuel relay??? What do you think?

Thank you.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykelamy View Post
I purchased the five items from a person from Iowa. It was from a 1999 Boxster. Mine is a 1998 and was told on the forum that it should work. All the lights work etc, but wont turn over. Maybe a starter or fuel relay??? What do you think?

Thank you.
Check the basics -- fuel, spark, compression?

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:38 PM   #5
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
There is a difference in the way I read/understood your 1st post and your 2nd. Your car won't crank or it won't start? Two different directions for correction.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:20 AM   #6

Does it click or make any sound like it wants to turn over? I think some more specifics on the exact problem might help. I would check your battery ground is clean and tight that can affect the starters ability to engage. Did you try manually rotating the crank to ensure the engine is free?
Old 07-24-2018, 07:34 PM   #7

The lights on the dash turn on, but when i try to start..nothing. No click or anything. Door locks work, windows etc.