Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2018, 04:53 PM   #1

Roof leaking question

Let this is more preventive than having a problem. There was a post a few weeks ago but I couldn't find it but there was a puddle of water behind the drivers seat. I just bought a Boxster and there is a rain storm forecast in the next couple days. Is there something I can check to preemptively check? I thought was something about drain hole or something like that.

Normally I would have the car in the garage but I just had the drive way paved and cannot drive on it yet.

gsy4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:05 PM   #2
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
There are drain holes in the front and back.

Back..... raise the top to the service position and look on either side where the roof retracts and you will see a drain hole at the bottom of a foam catch basin. Make sure they are clear of leaves and debris. Check for any tears in the foam as well.

Front...... Open the frunk and at the cowl area there are two covers one each side. These are removed with a torx driver. You will need to remove the battery cover as well I believe. Again, ensure the drain holes are clear.

A little preemptive work can go a long way to preventing a catastrophe.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:23 PM   #3

Look at these picture and diagrams
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:35 PM   #4

And make sure you dry up that water behind the drivers seat ASAP as best you can. If it gets to the immobilizer (which is under the drivers seat), you will be in a world of hurt! (and your boxster will stop running/working/being-awesome)...

Also check that the water isn't entering by way of the door. If the previous owner took the door panels off and didn't put the water shield back on properly, that can cause water to enter the interior and will pool behind/under the seats.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
Thank you, I have read your site but missed that page. Thank you again

gsy4771 is offline   Reply With Quote