Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2018, 05:02 AM   #1

Suspension redux

Hello all,

I have a 99 model pushing 145k miles. The suspension is getting tired and is in need of a refresh. While I am pulling parts out I am planning on going the ROW direction.

Real question is, what else should be replaced? New to the car and the brand, so not sure what wears and what doesn't. I've seen a full suspension kit on Pelican, but it was rather pricey, would like a real world view on what to replace.

I know to search the forums, but all the info I saw was from some time ago so want to see if there is anything updated.

Thanks in advance!

AANIC

Aanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:58 PM   #2
Thom

Garage
Doing the same

Same boat here. I've bought the Bilstein struts and new bump stops, bump stop boots, lower linkage and finally all four lower control arms (coffin arms). I haven't gotten around to installing yet because the company has lost the shipment for the control arms. I figured out what to change because I looked for cracked bushings, cracked & leaking seals on the suspension.
Get it up on jacks or a lift and inspect all of the rubber down there. That's all of the rubber crap on mine and it almost all had cracks and those that didn't I wanted to replace in pairs.

Good luck.
Thom
Calmg0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:00 PM   #3

Mine is also 99 and just replaced front strut with Bilstein B4 and it improved a lot with the ride, steering wheel is lighter also. Haven’t installed the rear struts yet and for sure it will be a lot better.
ndfrigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:54 AM   #4

Garage
I just replaced cv joints and all suspension components. Big job and costly but figured while I had to replace cv joints I might as well do everything else. I did H&R lowering springs and Bilstein sports new wheel bearings strut bearings swaybars bushings the works.