Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2006, 03:23 PM   #1

911 v. Boxster

So my ego and I were all gung ho to buy a 911 and it is a fabulous car but even with a huge end of year discount I couldn't pull the trigger. I drove the 997S, Cayman and Boxster S and could never shake the fact that I felt like the Boxster was by far the funnest car to drive. I know I am on a Boxster forum, but curious if any of you had your sites set on a 911 but wound up with the Boxster.

I love to drive drive drive and while the 997S is a great car its very fast and quite honestly you really can't exploit the car on public streets and even on the tracks here is Phoenix, two of the four are small tight tracks. The Boxster is not slow but you can wind it out without hitting warp speed and literally throw it into corners with abandon (unlike the 911) and I just love that it is so pure, moreso IMO than the 911.

I also drove the ZO6 which admittedly was very fun but again so so fast that honestly I think you would get bored with that car cause you can't rip on it at all without endgangering your license and everyone in the surrounding postal code.

Douge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 05:17 PM   #2

Welcome. The question as always is "does everyone that owns a Boxster really want a 911 but cant afford one"? Quite honestly, I could have afforded either. I mean in todays market, 40k give or take a little will buy you a decent 996 or nicely appointed Boxster S. When it comes down to it, the Boxster S is the car I wanted. I do not care that much for the styling of the 911 cab and convertible is a must for me. I love the look of the Boxster and it just feels more nimble to me than the 911. As far as performance, the Boxster S and the 911 are both plenty fast enough for spirited daily driving. Both cars handle very well and are rewarding to drive. For me, the Boxster S was the clear choice. I am sorry that most of the world views the Boxster as the "Poor Mans Porsche". I honstely believe it is the "Wise Mans Porsche" !
Just my humble opinion...
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 05:34 PM   #3

Yeah, I went to the dealership to look at slightly used 911s, drove a new Boxster and was taken aback at how much fun it was to drive. I will probably purchase a new 911 next, but not because I like driving it more, but because I have wanted one since I was 3.

I also agree with you about the performance envelope - you can push the car pretty hard on the street and not be too far into unsafe or illegal territory...

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 06:11 PM   #4

Pretty much the same story for me. I test drove used 911's but didn't want to spend over $60k which meant I couldn't get into the new styling (2005). I also drove the Boxster S and really liked the handling. Ended up going with a new Boxster S, but I still plan to get a 911 in the future.

I have always wanted a 911, and just can't let it go even though I love my Boxster. My wife is now suddenly all excited about the new M3, so who knows where I will go next, but the 911 is definately high on a short list.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 06:12 PM   #5
FIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Kill
I have wanted one since I was 3.
I too have wanted a 911 for as long as I can remember.......

I believe the boxster is a great entry level to get to know the "Porsche Drive", although I love my Boxster, I WILL be buying a 911 Cab!!!

(unfortunately here in Australia, $75K just gets you into a '01 Boxster, $200K for a 911 Cab , we get raped here, even with currency conversion)
FIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 07:48 PM   #6
Porscheectomy

It totally depends on what you're looking for. The new 911 is a very capable GT but far from a pure sports car. Even the Boxster is fat for a sports car. Drive a late 70's 911SC and you'll know your driving a true sports car. You'll also fall in love.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 12:36 AM   #7

Drove a 993 and I was very disappointed
Drove a 996 TT and while it was fast it didn't felt like a pure sportscar
Drove a 986S tiptronic and I was very disappointed
Drove a 986 (non S) 5 speed manual and ordered a 986S, manual with sportsuspension and exhaust.

Although I think 911's are still very, very, very nice from an exterior point of view its not my car. Haven't yet driven a 997 though.

And yes I know I could have afforded the 996TT. And yes I know a BoxsterS is less faster. And yes I know my MY05 Mitsubishi EVO 8 MR RS with 360bhp is faster. Who cares ?

After purchase of the BoxsterS I also drove a 996 GT3. That's very nice. If I will ever buy a 911 it would be a GT3 (RS) :-)

Mark.
markk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 04:54 AM   #8

Smile

I have owned many 911s and Boxsters.

If I had to choose, today I would buy a Boxster S.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 07:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDIOGUY
Welcome. The question as always is "does everyone that owns a Boxster really want a 911 but cant afford one"? Quite honestly, I could have afforded either. I mean in todays market, 40k give or take a little will buy you a decent 996 or nicely appointed Boxster S. When it comes down to it, the Boxster S is the car I wanted. I do not care that much for the styling of the 911 cab and convertible is a must for me. I love the look of the Boxster and it just feels more nimble to me than the 911. As far as performance, the Boxster S and the 911 are both plenty fast enough for spirited daily driving. Both cars handle very well and are rewarding to drive. For me, the Boxster S was the clear choice. I am sorry that most of the world views the Boxster as the "Poor Mans Porsche". I honstely believe it is the "Wise Mans Porsche" !
Just my humble opinion...
What he said. 'Cept I'd say "Fun Man's Porsche."
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 08:29 AM   #10

A few years ago I owned a 1981 and a 1982 911SC. Both were great cars but I frankly enjoy my '03 Boxster S much more. The A/C's on the 911 never worked very good and I really prefer the mid-engine configuration.
Norminhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 08:58 AM   #11

Here is a similar thread/poll that is on pelican right now. I'm surprised the reactions were so positive since this was posted on a 911 board(and an air-cooled one at that).

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=300878&perpage=20&pagenumber=1
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 11:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by markk
Drove a 993 and I was very disappointed
Really? I love the feel and look of the 993! way better than a 996 to me.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 01:11 PM   #13

I agree with almost everything that was said. I have test driven everything in the Porsche lineup except the Carrera GT. I love the driving feel of the boxster, the look of the 911 and the Zidane head-chest butting accelaration of the Cayenne Turbo S.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 03:11 PM   #14
1JB

Anyone who makes the comment that a Boxster is a "Poor Man's Porsche" will with their next breath say the 997 is a "rich man's substitution for a small p*n*s." Does anyone know a poor man who owns a Porsche? In short, they're just anti Porsche, haven't owned one and haven't driven one. I love the 911, I love the Cayman, and I love all the Boxsters all the way back to 1997. I own five cars, no loans, no leases. I was intent on the C4S until I drove a Cayman S which is such a work of art I had to have one. It's effortless to drive. Then spring came, along with a sunny day and a test drive with my youngest. Bought the Boxster S that day and absolutely love it. Each Porsche has its own appeal. For longer road trips I'd love a 997 but for every drive on a sunny day over winding wooded country roads to work and back the Boxster really melts my butter.
Auto Climate
Bose with Windstop
CD Changer
Heated Seats
Clear Sidemarkers
Midnight Blue Side Vents
1JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 03:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JB
Does anyone know a poor man who owns a Porsche?
I'm poor. Check out my box...

DenverPete...where are you dude?
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 03:25 PM   #16
FIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JB
In short, they're just anti Porsche, haven't owned one and haven't driven one.
Or Jealous
FIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 04:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JB
Anyone who makes the comment that a Boxster is a "Poor Man's Porsche" will with their next breath say the 997 is a "rich man's substitution for a small p*n*s." Does anyone know a poor man who owns a Porsche? In short, they're just anti Porsche, haven't owned one and haven't driven one. I love the 911, I love the Cayman, and I love all the Boxsters all the way back to 1997. I own five cars, no loans, no leases. I was intent on the C4S until I drove a Cayman S which is such a work of art I had to have one. It's effortless to drive. Then spring came, along with a sunny day and a test drive with my youngest. Bought the Boxster S that day and absolutely love it. Each Porsche has its own appeal. For longer road trips I'd love a 997 but for every drive on a sunny day over winding wooded country roads to work and back the Boxster really melts my butter.

I agree 100%. I own four cars and picked the Boxster S because of the ragtop and fun factor. My next addition will be a 356.

airboxster is offline   Reply With Quote