986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Spark plug tube o-rings? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/72650-spark-plug-tube-o-rings.html)

particlewave 06-27-2018 01:22 PM

Spark plug tube o-rings?

Does anyone have a good source for spark plug tube o-rings?
Maybe I'm not using the correct search terms, but I'm not having a lot of luck. My tubes are fine and look great after cleaning them up, so I don't see the point in buying tubes just to get the o-rings.

I'm sure I'll find them, but figured that it wouldn't hurt to ask around.
Thanks! :D

Starter986 06-27-2018 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 573920)
Does anyone have a good source for spark plug tube o-rings?
Maybe I'm not using the correct search terms, but I'm not having a lot of luck. My tubes are fine and look great after cleaning them up, so I don't see the point in buying tubes just to get the o-rings.

I'm sure I'll find them, but figured that it wouldn't hurt to ask around.
Thanks! :D

I got mine from Pelican. ;)

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/1042/POR_1042_ELIGNT_pg1.htm#item1

dghii 06-27-2018 02:29 PM

Mine were from Suncoast.

dav9515 06-27-2018 03:08 PM

got mine from Pelican as well, just installed them this weekend, all is good! replaced my tubes as well while in there although all 6 were completely fine. I didnt want to take it all out again if i missed a hairline crack or one started soon after doing the work.

Tubes are cheap and although the job isnt "hard" to do, my schedule doesnt permit me to work on the car as often as i like so wanted to check the box while in there already. Also did spark plugs.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/986M/POR_986M_ELIGNT_pg1.htm

particlewave 06-27-2018 04:55 PM

Thanks for the pointers.

Looking at the o-ring prices, I may as well just buy the tubes with o-rings and save myself future headaches. ;)

Geof3 06-27-2018 10:20 PM

Pelican for me too. Tubes straight from the P-car dealer. They were actually cheaper.

BirdDog 06-28-2018 12:24 PM

Mine came from Pelican too. Replaced the o-rings (both) as well as new tubes (inexpensive).

particlewave 06-04-2019 12:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Update:
Almost a year later, I'm happy to say that the new tubes and o-rings are leak free.
The reason I mention this is because I did not go with one of the bigger name suppliers, but rather ÜRO Parts tubes (o-rings included) from R*ckAuto for $2.50 each ($15 total).

The ÜRO tubes were a bit thicker than OEM (stout), were perfectly round and went in beautifully.
I'll report back when/if they start leaking again, but my conclusion is that they exceed OEM for a fraction of the cost.

PaulE 06-04-2019 06:35 AM

At that price it's not worth doing a Google search for O ring vendors and trying to find ones in the right size that would stand up to the oil and heat of the engine! It's always good to hear about cheaper alternatives that work as well as OEM.

particlewave 03-25-2020 01:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Now closing in on the 2yr mark (5k miles).
Still leak free! :)

Picture brought to you by my DIY inspection camera (backup camera and screen + selfie stick + some 3D printed bits) :p

piper6909 03-25-2020 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 614026)
Now closing in on the 2yr mark (5k miles).
Still leak free! :)

Picture brought to you by my DIY inspection camera (backup camera and screen + selfie stick + some 3D printed bits) :p

Brilliant use of a backup cam!!!

Oh, and congrats on no leaks!:cheers:

particlewave 03-27-2020 01:01 AM

Thanks. The camera and monitor were left over from my cross country move, so I figured that I may as well recycle them.
It has already seen lots of use. ;)

Zzorro 03-28-2020 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 596848)
Update:
Almost a year later, I'm happy to say that the new tubes and o-rings are leak free.
The reason I mention this is because I did not go with one of the bigger name suppliers, but rather ÜRO Parts tubes (o-rings included) from R*ckAuto for $2.50 each ($15 total).

The ÜRO tubes were a bit thicker than OEM (stout), were perfectly round and went in beautifully.
I'll report back when/if they start leaking again, but my conclusion is that they exceed OEM for a fraction of the cost.

I just did mine. I went with the same ones (URO) from the same supplier (Rock auto). I concur, they fit good. In fact, my old OEM ones came out without any tools. The new ones required a little motivation to get seated properly. Makes sense that the new ones have a tighter seal.