Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2006, 12:48 PM   #1
FIG

Stereo Thread?

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can direct me to any threads regarding stereo upgrade?

I'm sure it has been discussed on numerous occasions, I just thought it'd be quicker (rather than sifting through) if someone could link.

I have the standard pac, and wish to upgrade to better (not the OEM!). Just want to see other alternatives/options you guys have done

Thanks in advance for any info

Cheers

FIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:41 PM   #2

You don't provide much information about your car or the stereo. I have a 2000 non-S and added rear speakers to it. I have the CDR-220 stock radio CD. It made a big difference in the sound quality. (It probably won't be enough improvement to satisfy an audiophile, but I'm pleased.) I bought the PNP kit that you can find on eBay. The seller is a guy named Harvey - great to work with. I'm not sure if he ships to Australia, but it's worth asking. Here are the installation instructions:

http://www.pelicanparts.com//techarticles/box_rear_speakers/box_rear_speakers.htm

I also installed an iPod hook up using these instructions:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7747&hl=amplifier

If you want to go wild, here's the guide:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9613

Good luck.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 10:16 PM   #3
FIG

Thanks heaps Kevin! Shall investigate

Cheers
FIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 06:52 AM   #4

rear speakers

I, too, am looking at adding rear speakers to my 2000 with rear storage compartment and hifi option.
The porsche rear speakers are about the same price as pnp-is the pnp really better?
Also, I have the seat all the way back with only about 2" between the speaker opening and the rear of the seat. How much does that block the sound?
Some people claim that the sound isn't that great and they have to adjust the fader well to the rear to get balanced sound.
Am I being too picky...Is this a worthwhile mod? thx.
milist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 06:52 AM   #5

rear speakers

I, too, am looking at adding rear speakers to my 2000 with rear storage compartment and hifi option.
The porsche rear speakers are about the same price as pnp-is the pnp really better?
Also, I have the seat all the way back with only about 2" between the speaker opening and the rear of the seat. How much does that block the sound?
Some people claim that the sound isn't that great and they have to adjust the fader well to the rear to get balanced sound.
Am I being too picky...Is this a worthwhile mod? thx.
milist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 10:22 AM   #6

Before I installed my rear speakers I checked several boards and the consensus was that the PNP speakers sounded better than those provided in the Porsche kit. I've never heard the stock set up so I can't say from experience that the PNP kit is better.

The rear speakers make the sound more "spacious", but they do not correct all the problems with the stock system. I may upgrade the system further, but for now I can live with it. To me the improvement was worth the cost.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:04 PM   #7

I'm also interested in adding the rear speaker. My 05 987 has the standard porsche audio. recently rode in a 987 with the porsche optioned boise (?), whicvh features a speaker in place of the sliding doors compartment between the seats. It madea huge difference having sound there, and the sound was relatively good quality.
TVC15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:58 PM   #8

Hi,

You need to think very hard before investing $$$ in stereo gear for a convertible. None of them are conducive to great sound. They simply are not a very good audio environment.

If you want bragging rights, that's different. You can add lots of bling and even improve the sound (a bit, but not much overall), but it'll never be stellar or worth the price. Just my $0.02.

The rear speakers are a worthwhile mod, but provide mostly sorely needed fill-in.

BTW, I have a $3k+ system in my Esprit and it's great, also, I was once into it big time and had an accoustically altered listening room with all very high-end gear ($25k-$30k worth), so I do have a bit of experience...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 01:10 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

You need to think very hard before investing $$$ in stereo gear for a convertible. None of them are conducive to great sound. They simply are not a very good audio environment.

If you want bragging rights, that's different. You can add lots of bling and even improve the sound (a bit, but not much overall), but it'll never be stellar or worth the price. Just my $0.02.

The rear speakers are a worthwhile mod, but provide mostly sorely needed fill-in.

BTW, I have a $3k+ system in my Esprit and it's great, also, I was once into it big time and had an accoustically altered listening room with all very high-end gear ($25k-$30k worth), so I do have a bit of experience...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
Jim, I'm sure you agree with me when I say the price of the equipment used doesn't mean anything....

I have to say that it IS possible to make a convertible sound great. In fact I would put my cars stereo up against any hardtop.
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 09:38 AM   #10

Rear Speakers and Home Stereos

I have been thinking of adding rear speakers to my base 2000 Boxster. Like Jim I USED to have a nice home audio system. In fact I have been into listening to music for several decades now, but things do change, or at least morph.

I teach for a living, so we are not swimming in extra cash. So I had to work on "she-who-must-be-obeyed" for over a year to be "allowed" to get my Boxster. It looked like it would never happen, but in a moment of weakness she said: "the only way you will ever get a Porsche is if you sell all your stereo gear".

Well, that is all it took, I sold most of expensive audio gear including all of my thousands of LP's, trick turntable and such and came up with enough for my Boxster (most of it anyway, still working on that).

So, back to the rear speakers. I have replaced the factory dash and door speakers with JL Audio speakers and was thinking of using 4 of their 3.5 inch speakers for the rear. Anyone ever tried JL Audio speakers for the rear speakers, or had any luck with the ebay PNP speakers, thanks,

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 09:47 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin
I have been thinking of adding rear speakers to my base 2000 Boxster. Like Jim I USED to have a nice home audio system. In fact I have been into listening to music for several decades now, but things do change, or at least morph.

I teach for a living, so we are not swimming in extra cash. So I had to work on "she-who-must-be-obeyed" for over a year to be "allowed" to get my Boxster. It looked like it would never happen, but in a moment of weakness she said: "the only way you will ever get a Porsche is if you sell all your stereo gear".

Well, that is all it took, I sold most of expensive audio gear including all of my thousands of LP's, trick turntable and such and came up with enough for my Boxster (most of it anyway, still working on that).

So, back to the rear speakers. I have replaced the factory dash and door speakers with JL Audio speakers and was thinking of using 4 of their 3.5 inch speakers for the rear. Anyone ever tried JL Audio speakers for the rear speakers, or had any luck with the ebay PNP speakers, thanks,

Ed
I have a set of JL Audio 3.5" speakers which i never used. One box has been opened for a test fit and thats about it. They are the TR model i believe...nothing speical. I am willing to let both sets (4speakers) go for $40plus shipping.

Let me know if your interested.
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 11:52 AM   #12
KronixSpeed

Hey Kevin, thats a very cool ipod set-up. i used the same becker aux cable. i didnt know that you could get a cable that would power up the ipod. very cool link.

thanks.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:31 PM   #13

My setup:

Alpine PDX-4.150 (amp)
Alpine 9857 (HU)
Focal 100v2 Slims (dash)

Crystal clear, highway driving.

You need a really clean, powerful amplifier to go with the Focal speakers to get the best out of them. That Alpine unit is small and sexy AND you won't loose any space under the hood...

The door speakers are fine as is, they are just for the lows.

Rear speakers are useless with a setup like this.
eric95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:21 PM   #14

Talking

just bought the pioneer deh 9800 bt head unit and jl audio xr 650 csi speakers 2 jl 8w3 woofers a jl audio 500/5 amp. that should make my 03 box crank. just got to find a place to put the sub woofers i think under the seats may work. wanted to stay kinda stock but to hell with that tin can sound system. i wana here the red hot chili peppers loud. thats just me

surfbill is offline   Reply With Quote