986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Right Parking Light not working (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/72516-right-parking-light-not-working.html)

TiberiusBoxster 06-15-2018 04:25 AM

Right Parking Light not working

Good morning all,
My right parking light does not work. I would not really care, but I can't pass inspection without it. Last night I dug into it. I checked power (with a test light) at the pigtail end on the car, I have power there. I ran a jumper wire from that end to the disconnected headlight assembly (thank you PW for the picture explaining which prong is what). I tested for power at the parking light socket and I have power. I swapped bulbs from my working driver's side to the passenger side (passenger side still does not work, but the bulb on my passenger side does work in my driver's side, thus the bulb is not the issue). Checked the wiring, I have hot on one wire leading into the parking light bulb, when I plug in the bulb, I have hot on both (this was the same with the driver's side, but the bulb worked). I am wondering if it is some kind of ground issue. I know 194 bulbs can sometimes be finicky with grounds. Has anyone seen anything like this before or have an idea what it might be?

Thanks,
Chris

Starter986 06-15-2018 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiberiusBoxster (Post 573043)
Good morning all,
My right parking light does not work. I would not really care, but I can't pass inspection without it. Last night I dug into it. I checked power (with a test light) at the pigtail end on the car, I have power there. I ran a jumper wire from that end to the disconnected headlight assembly (thank you PW for the picture explaining which prong is what). I tested for power at the parking light socket and I have power. I swapped bulbs from my working driver's side to the passenger side (passenger side still does not work, but the bulb on my passenger side does work in my driver's side, thus the bulb is not the issue). Checked the wiring, I have hot on one wire leading into the parking light bulb, when I plug in the bulb, I have hot on both (this was the same with the driver's side, but the bulb worked). I am wondering if it is some kind of ground issue. I know 194 bulbs can sometimes be finicky with grounds. Has anyone seen anything like this before or have an idea what it might be?

Thanks,
Chris

I had a similar problem. Is your side marker bulb good? Can you test using the tail light housing from another P? I ended up spending the ~$50 from Pelican on an entirely new assembly. Problem solved.

Looking forward to hearing how yours is resolved.

dav9515 06-15-2018 04:59 AM

The Side Marker lights have their own fuses, did you check the fuse? i recently had an issue where my City/Parking/High beams were not working. Upon investigation the wiring in my headlight had become brittle and the rubber coating peeled off. i coated the wires in liquid tape and all work now, there was a short with the exposed wires blowing the fuses for those lights.

All good now, knock on wood!

TiberiusBoxster 06-15-2018 05:06 AM

Quote:

The Side Marker lights have their own fuses, did you check the fuse? i recently had an issue where my City/Parking/High beams were not working. Upon investigation the wiring in my headlight had become brittle and the rubber coating peeled off. i coated the wires in liquid tape and all work now, there was a short with the exposed wires blowing the fuses for those lights.

All good now, knock on wood!
I looked at the fuses and a fuse panel diagram. I could not find where the fuse is, but regardless, I have power at the socket, therefore it can't be the fuse, correct? If not, where is the fuse for the right front parking light? Thank you,

Quote:

I had a similar problem. Is your side marker bulb good? Can you test using the tail light housing from another P? I ended up spending the ~$50 from Pelican on an entirely new assembly. Problem solved.

Looking forward to hearing how yours is resolved.
Yes, the bulb is good. I swapped it from the left front (which was working, and is now working with the bulb that was in the passenger side). I take it yours was the tail light? Mine is the front passenger parking bulb. I may have to end up getting a new assembly, but currently I don't understand how that will solve the problem. I have power to the bulb.

Thank you all for your help. Please keep the suggestions coming.

Starter986 06-15-2018 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiberiusBoxster (Post 573049)
I looked at the fuses and a fuse panel diagram. I could not find where the fuse is, but regardless, I have power at the socket, therefore it can't be the fuse, correct? If not, where is the fuse for the right front parking light? Thank you,

Yes, the bulb is good. I swapped it from the left front (which was working, and is now working with the bulb that was in the passenger side). I take it yours was the tail light? Mine is the front passenger parking bulb. I may have to end up getting a new assembly, but currently I don't understand how that will solve the problem. I have power to the bulb.

Thank you all for your help. Please keep the suggestions coming.

I must have run 10 new bulbs through that socket. Intermittently it worked. Likewise power. I figured $50... and it worked.

Before I swapped the housing, and when first I began having problems with a couple other lights in that housing. I saw the parking bulb was out. Was receiving power. Replaced the bulb... all the tail lights worked... except for that intermittent bulb in the back.

You should have attached to the fuse-box housing cover on the inside... the fuses diagram. If not let me know and I'll post a pic.

Good luck.

TiberiusBoxster 06-15-2018 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 573050)
I must have run 10 new bulbs through that socket. Intermittently it worked. Likewise power. I figured $50... and it worked.

Before I swapped the housing, and when first I began having problems with a couple other lights in that housing. I saw the parking bulb was out. Was receiving power. Replaced the bulb... all the tail lights worked... except for that intermittent bulb in the back.

You should have attached to the fuse-box housing cover on the inside... the fuses diagram. If not let me know and I'll post a pic.

Good luck.

I don't have the diagram on the inside, but I did find the one from Mike's website. I don't see one that says parking bulb though. Also, what housing did you replace? It sounds like it was in the tail light. Was it the socket where the bulb fit in? Did you just cut it off and put the new one on via heat shrinking or something?

Thanks,

TiberiusBoxster 06-15-2018 06:33 AM

I noticed that dav9515 called them side marker lights. I did check the fuses for those, A3 and A4. They both work. I would not think they were the marker lights, but maybe that is what they are called.

particlewave 06-15-2018 09:12 AM

Yeah...you're not getting a headlight assembly for $50, not that it is necessary anyway. I don't think he read your first post. :D

Getting positive voltage on both sides with the bulb in is normal because the bulb filament is a conductor. Sounds like a bad ground, but the parking, fog, turn signal and high beams all share a common ground. Do the fog lights, turn and high beams work on that side?

TiberiusBoxster 06-15-2018 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 573060)
Yeah...you're not getting a headlight assembly for $50, not that it is necessary anyway. I don't think he read your first post. :D

Getting positive voltage on both sides with the bulb in is normal because the bulb filament is a conductor. Sounds like a bad ground, but the parking, fog, turn signal and high beams all share a common ground. Do the fog lights, turn and high beams work on that side?

I was waiting for you to chime in, PW. Yes, All the rest of the lights work on that side. I tested all of them. I knew based on the diagram you sent me they use a common ground, I even cleaned it out a little. I also thought it was normal to get positive voltage on both sides (I thought I remembered the 194 bulb being a conductor). And, I agree it is probably a ground. Any thoughts on how to fix it?

One thing that was odd is that even with the jumper wire when I put the power to the drivers side, which works, it would not light up. It would when I plugged it back in the main harness, but not the jumper wire. Not that that matters, just interesting. I welcome any thoughts on how to fix it. It is the only thing holding up my inspection.

Thanks,
Chris

dav9515 06-15-2018 09:40 AM

The side marker lights are on the sides of your car, in your fenders. Some people call them parking lights so wasnt sure what you were referring to. Are you talking about the small lights physically inside the headlights by your low and high beams?

if so, those were also out on my car and the wire covering was falling off. After recoating with the liquid tape to all exposed areas they worked fine, but my fuses were blowing indicating a short.

My question is are those ligths really required in VA for an inspection? here in CT that would have no impact.

particlewave 06-15-2018 09:42 AM

If you're getting positive voltage (hot) on both sides of the bulb, it's definitely a bad ground. Pull the main connector socket off of the headlight (remove 2 screws, then pry it off - aside from the screws, it's also held on with strong double sided tape) and check the wires coming from the common ground pin. Also run your test light between parking light + and the common ground on the car side, just to be sure that you get a complete circuit there.

TiberiusBoxster 06-15-2018 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dav9515 (Post 573064)
The side marker lights are on the sides of your car, in your fenders. Some people call them parking lights so wasnt sure what you were referring to. Are you talking about the small lights physically inside the headlights by your low and high beams?

Yes, that is what I am talking about.

Quote:

if so, those were also out on my car and the wire covering was falling off. After recoating with the liquid tape to all exposed areas they worked fine, but my fuses were blowing indicating a short.

all the fuses are good.

Quote:

My question is are those lights really required in VA for an inspection? here in CT that would have no impact.

Yes, unfortunately.

Quote:

If you're getting positive voltage (hot) on both sides of the bulb, it's definitely a bad ground. Pull the main connector socket off of the headlight (remove 2 screws, then pry it off - aside from the screws, it's also held on with strong double sided tape) and check the wires coming from the common ground pin. Also run your test light between parking light + and the common ground on the car side, just to be sure that you get a complete circuit there.
I will hopefully get a chance to do that tonight. I don't understand the last part of what you said, what do you mean by run the test light between parking light + and the common ground. Would you mind to explain that a little better?

Thank you everyone for your help.

Starter986 06-15-2018 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 573060)

I'm sorry. I thought we were on the rear light housing. My baaaaaaad. Baaaaaaaad.

PW... still planning to attend to that mod. Maybe this weekend.;)

particlewave 06-15-2018 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiberiusBoxster (Post 573066)
I will hopefully get a chance to do that tonight. I don't understand the last part of what you said, what do you mean by run the test light between parking light + and the common ground. Would you mind to explain that a little better?

Thank you everyone for your help.

Turn the headlights on (to parking light position), then test at the car side connector between common ground and parking light +, just to be 100% sure you have good power between the two (unless you already did that).

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1529089164.jpg

particlewave 06-15-2018 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 573069)
I'm sorry. I thought we were on the rear light housing. My baaaaaaad. Baaaaaaaad.

PW... still planning to attend to that mod. Maybe this weekend.;)

I really hope you get it working...still one of my favorite useful mods. :D

TiberiusBoxster 06-15-2018 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 573073)
Turn the headlights on (to parking light position), then test at the car side connector between common ground and parking light +, just to be 100% sure you have good power between the two (unless you already did that).

Yes, that was the first thing I did. I have power there. I was able to use that to jump the connection and make sure I had power at the bulb. I will remove the socket and try to clean up the ground. Thanks again.

No worries, Starter 😀

Starter986 06-15-2018 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 573073)

You are so good with photos!

Maybe one of that hot wire to which I connect the cubby mod? I'll find the ground. ;)

particlewave 06-15-2018 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 573083)
You are so good with photos!

Maybe one of that hot wire to which I connect the cubby mod? I'll find the ground. ;)

You have to remove the plastic panel around the fuse center (2 or 4 screws and it comes right off)...I'll see if I have an old picture this evening so I don't have to go out into the blazing hot garage. :D

TiberiusBoxster 06-15-2018 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 573065)

That was it. Pulled the connectir and ran a ground lead and a positive lead. Buttoned it back up and it works. I need to do some more plasti dip in there, but that will get me pass inspection.

Thanks again.

Starter986 06-15-2018 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiberiusBoxster (Post 573091)
That was it. Pulled the connectir and ran a ground lead and a positive lead. Buttoned it back up and it works. I need to do some more plasti dip in there, but that will get me pass inspection.

Thanks again.

PW is genius.