Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2004, 05:32 PM   #1

Jack plate?

I'm thinking of buying a jack lifting plate for my box. The piece of wood just isn't cutting it anymore. Tweeks has one for 80 bucks. I was wondering what all you guys use, since alot of you guys do your own work. Comments are appreciated.

Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 05:33 PM   #2
Watch Freak

I remember about a year ago reading somewhere that a guy (may have been tool pants) used a hockey puck on his jack as a softening plate and it looked really interesting.
2006 BMW 750i 19" Sport Wheels BK/BK-Daily
2005 Lotus Elise Sport & Touring Package-Fun
2001 Lexus RX300-Back-up Winter Beater
2001 Mercedes-Benz S500 Sport AMG-Sold
2000 Boxster S Heavily Modified-Sold
2000 Nissan Altima GLE-Parking Spot Holder
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Stryke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 07:11 PM   #3

I have seen many jack plates over the years and I do not see their purpose. With my little jack I just remove the cup so it will slide under the car. With my big jack I remove the cup and use a piece of wood.

What is neat is this yellow jack pad. I has a pin on each end. When the weight of the car is on the jack the car is pinned to the jack and the car cannot slide off the jack. It is also good for cars with side skirts. I wish I would have thought of this jack pad because it does good.

Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 07:22 PM   #4

Yeah, the one in tweeks looks kinda like that, with the raised section in the middle to go into the hole where you jack up the car. A piece of wood is what I used to change my oil, put the plate looks safer with that pin there. BTW, I put in 9 quarts of mobile one after the oil change and my car still doesn't read full on the electronic oil measurement thingy by the instrument cluster. Should I add in some more? The manual says it takes 8.7 quarts with fliter though. I should be over already. The dipstick says about the same as the other thing up front.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 09:15 PM   #5

The Tweeks one looks ok. But it sure looks thick in the picture plus they do not tell you the pin diameter. There was no jack pad like that when I started out a few years ago. The Tweeks one makes sense if it will fit your jack and slide under the car.

If you put in 9 quarts you are full. Sure you did not forget to put the drain plug back in?

There is no reason to have the level right on the full segment. Drive your car and check the gauge in the morning.

Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 08:59 PM   #6
Forum Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Stryke
I remember about a year ago reading somewhere that a guy (may have been tool pants) used a hockey puck on his jack as a softening plate and it looked really interesting.
Some of the Corvette guys use hockey pucks to lift with also.

poloman is offline   Reply With Quote