Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2018, 07:04 AM   #1

Perfectly true wheels - what a difference!

Last October I bent one of my 18 inch front Lt. Alloy Carrera rims beyond repair on the track. I bought a used rim that needed refinishing and some truing. It looked so nice I decided to have my other 3 wheels done as well. While the 18 inch wheels were being refinished I put my 17 inch wheels on for the fall/winter/spring. Last night I put the 18's back on the car and drove to work this morning. What a difference completely true and balanced wheels and tires make! I had no steering wheel shimmy or vibration at any speed. I can't remember when my wheel felt this good. My 17's don't need refinishing, but I am going to take them to the same place and have them trued. Last time they were on the balancing machine they looked true by eyeballing them, but I think there are some minor imperfections that create some shimmy and vibration. I just hope the wheels stay true for a while now!

PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:43 PM   #2

Thats awesome to hear. I am having tires mounted and balanced on some wheels I bought over the weekend. Hoping the car drives a little better as the old wheels didn't seem perfectly balanced and the tires are fairly old.
Mr Flat Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flat Six View Post
Thats awesome to hear. I am having tires mounted and balanced on some wheels I bought over the weekend. Hoping the car drives a little better as the old wheels didn't seem perfectly balanced and the tires are fairly old.
If the wheels are used, ask your tire guy if they'll spin the wheels on the balancer before they mount tires and see that the wheels look true up and down and side to side before mounting tires. That isn't perfect but it's better than nothing.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:34 PM   #4
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
What a difference completely true and balanced wheels and tires make! I had no steering wheel shimmy or vibration at any speed. I can't remember when my wheel felt this good.
True wheels, with new tires that have been "road force balanced" contribute to a confident triple digit drive. After all, these cars were designed for autobahn travel.

Just sayin'..............

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamOxford View Post
True wheels, with new tires that have been "road force balanced" contribute to a confident triple digit drive. After all, these cars were designed for autobahn travel.

Just sayin'..............

TO
Well my tires are the Michelin Pilot whatever’s that have the N3 designation. The fronts have 30k and the rears have 17k miles and they still have some tread left above the wear bars. I haven’t worn out a set of tires yet. The original 18 inch tires died of old age at 27k, the second set of 18 inch rears were replaced due to a sidewall bubble in one so I replaced both. If my wheels are still this true when I get new tires I’ll be in heaven!
Old 06-13-2018, 11:37 AM   #6

Man I'm happy to hear you have no vibration or shimmy. I've been chasing and spending money on vibrations for 2 years. Just had 18 in turbo twist wheels trued up and refinished, and put new Indy 500 tires on. STILL vibrations in the whole car, but steering especially. Went back twice, and they tell me roadforce is 32 lbs on left rear! New tires! I replaced ALL suspension components last year, except the front shocks. Frustrating to say the least! I can only DREAM of a triple digit experience with zero vibration...
2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles
AZ986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ986S View Post
I replaced ALL suspension components last year, except the front shocks.
I bet you the cause for the vibration are the worn shocks...

PS: Just noticed my post number 986...

And have being enjoying this site for almost 10 years
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:33 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
If the wheels are used, ask your tire guy if they'll spin the wheels on the balancer before they mount tires and see that the wheels look true up and down and side to side before mounting tires. That isn't perfect but it's better than nothing.
Well it's close enough to perfect, if you can't see excessive runout movement up & down or side to side the wheel is not the problem. Mount a good quality Hi-performance tire & balance it. If you now have excessive movement you have a tire issue, which should be solved by repositioning the tire on the wheel.