986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Help! 02 Boxster S issue! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/72386-help-02-boxster-s-issue.html)

Jaykhjr 06-01-2018 08:02 AM

Help! 02 Boxster S issue!

Hey guys, so my 02 Boxster S came out of winter storage today for inspection, All good, but the transmission wont shift into the bottom row of gears for me (2,4,6) it shifts into 1,3,5 and R fine... Anyone ever hear of this? My initial thought is the linkage but I don't have much experience with working on Porsche's.

Any Help is greatly appreciated!

Doug427 06-01-2018 09:28 AM

Check your cables in the back where they attach to the transmission. Make sure the brass looking ferrule has not slipped out from behind the cable end boot and is blocking the movement of the cable to full travel.

Jaykhjr 06-01-2018 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug427 (Post 571905)
Check your cables in the back where they attach to the transmission. Make sure the brass looking ferrule has not slipped out from behind the cable end boot and is blocking the movement of the cable to full travel.

Hi Doug, Thank you.

Do you happen to have a picture of what I am looking for? and I am assuming I can see it from under the car or do I have to take the console apart?

Thanks again

Jay

Doug427 06-01-2018 10:58 AM

For some reason I am not able to attach photos to a post today. If you want to private message me your email address I have some photos I can send to you.

AZ986S 06-01-2018 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug427 (Post 571905)

Yup exactly what happened to me once. That darn ferrule is just the right size to slip into the open cable and block it. I ziptied it,

Jaykhjr 06-19-2018 03:30 AM

Just an update guys, with some help and photos from Doug, The Boxster S is back up and running. The plastic piece near the gearbox was MIA, so a ziptie is there now. Thank you all for the responses!

Doug427 06-19-2018 04:31 AM

By way of explanation for anyone who may find this in search to solve a future problem they may be having - The Boxster has two shift cables. One controls the functions of the shifter in the left-right movement, the other controls front to back movement. For example, when shifting from 2nd to 3rd, the forward motion of the movement of the shifter from the rear position of 2nd to the forward position of third is transferred from the shifter to the transmission by one of the two cables. The position commanded by the movement of the shifter from the 1-2 gate to the right through the neutral gate to the 3-4 gate position is controlled by the other cable.

At the transmission end of the cables, in the end where the inner cable extends from the outer sheath, there is a brass colored metal ferrule that is inserted in the end of the outer sheath for what I presume is stiffening the end of the cable assembly. That ferrule is held in place and prevented from slipping out the end of the cable by a small plastic clip. Over time the plastic clip becomes brittle and breaks, allowing the brass colored ferrule to slip completely out of the end of the outer sheath of the cable assembly and wedge itself between the end of the outer sheath and the cable end attached to the inner cable, taking up all the space needed for the end of the cable to travel in and out. Once that happens there is little or no room for the inner cable to retract into the outer sheath.

Once that happens the result will be either the shifter will no longer move in the left-right neutral gate, being jammed in position. If it's the other cable that's jammed. you will find the shifter jammed into position where either only 1st, 3rd and 5th, or 2nd, 4th and 6th can be selected.

The cure is really easy, and costs the only price of a zip tie. Simply slide the ferrule back into position inside the end of the outer sheath at the transmission end of the cable, and then fasten a zip tie in place where the plastic cap used to be.

Total in and out is about 10 minutes and 10 cents. Hope this long winded explanation helps someone down the line. I tried to post a few photos by for some reason the forum won't allow me to do so.