Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2018, 09:01 PM   #1

Ipas codes, anyone run into this situation before?

So with a lot of help and direction, I finally received my ipas codes for my 01 boxster S.

Having received them I noticed that the codes are rather odd, and for those that have them may understand what I’m talking about. With the exception of one set, they all look like they have been altered or possibly changed at one point. I tried googling my situation and only 2 hits popped up and one was on Pedro’s bird and another in the workshop manual.

The DME programming code is literally 000000, and that would also be the code entered when programming a new DME from porsche for the first time. The other person that ran into the issue never got a response on that thread.

Also, the learning code and immobilizer code is almost as hilarious as the DME programming code is. This leads me to believe that when that it is quite possible that when the car was under warranty, the ecu and immobilizer units possibly got replaced and the tech never programmed the old codes back in. Or something happened and it may have been changed along the way and updated at the Porsche database. Haven’t tried codes yet as I am waiting for another member to come near me and load a tune in so it’ll be a while until we both find out.

Either way, the radio code is right as I convinced the dealership to sell me that at the cost of my first born, and the alarm code seems normally random.

Anybody have any insight as to why it might be like that or a totally random thing by chance?

986bsdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:38 AM   #2

thought that i'd bump this thread so as to add to the collective knowledge. i hooked up with bsdriver a few weekends ago and had at his car with my pst2. this is what we learned ...

good news: 000000 is a valid DME programming code and worked quite well.

bad news: 2001 and 2002 cars appear to be ******************** outta luck for oem solutions to running a 996 tune or larger MAF holder. i've got a 2000 996 tune on my 3.2L 2000 S with the bigger maf holder and it works fine. newart has pushed a SE edition tune onto his 2004 to allow for the larger maf holder with no problems. same should work on a 2003 as they are the same.

it appears that 2001 (and i *presume* 2002) cars have a conflict that i think is tied to proto-CANBus implementation on these cars. 2000 had none, so everything talked to each other when i pushed the new tune. 2001 has some, but apparently not the same between 986 and 996 and i was getting all sorts of communications errors between dme, instrument cluster and hvac controller. we tried both a 2000 and a 2001 996 tune on his 2001 with no luck. ended up just putting a row tune on to make his post cat cels due to his new exhaust go away.

there may be a work around for it requiring some more invasive instrument cluster reprogramming, but such things are above my pay grade unless someone has some info that they could share, it which case i'd give it another go.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:16 PM   #3

Thanks again for the tune. I’m actually kinda surprised that my easy to guess DME codes worked.

I know pelican parts posted that a 996 cluster could be programmed for convertible or coupe. I’m not sure if it would make a difference or not as my cluster came out of an 02 with the metric speedo. I could always change it back and see if it works the next time you’re in town TRK. Perhaps If you can program a coupe or convertible into the cluster it can be programmed as if it were a 996 cluster.

I don’t know how many people are running a 996 tune which is likely why not a lot of people report these types of issues with these particular years. I’m just happy the 986 roe tune worked and the annoying check engine lights off

One thing I’m curious is whether or not the 996 jumped into canbus in stages like the 986 did or if it was all at once.

986bsdriver is offline   Reply With Quote